* database version conflict
@ 2014-10-16 10:07 Sepp Tannhuber
From: Sepp Tannhuber @ 2014-10-16 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch@notmuchmail.org

Dear all,

I had to reinstall my PC because I had some trouble. My home directory including
Maildir has been copied from the old installation.

I'm using alot 0.3.6 with notmuch 0.18.1+126~g7487e2e. When starting alot, I
receive the following warning and cannot change any labels:

  Warning: Notmuch database at /home/sepp/Maildir/.notmuch
           has a newer database format version (3) than supported by this
           version of notmuch (1). Some operations may behave incorrectly,
           (but the database will not be harmed since it is being opened
           in read-only mode).

Can anybody help me to fix this? I cannot understand why my notmuch version from
git obviously doesn't support the existing database format version. The notmuch
version from my current debian installation results in the same warning.

I should mention that I have used notmuch and alot from git before without any
problems. So I think the problem might be related to one of the other packages
needed for alot: python-notmuch or libnotmuch3. I've tried these packages
from debian stable and unstable without success.

* Re: database version conflict
@ 2014-10-16 16:10 ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2014-10-16 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sepp Tannhuber, notmuch@notmuchmail.org

Sepp Tannhuber <sepp.tannhuber@yahoo.de> writes:

> Can anybody help me to fix this? I cannot understand why my notmuch version from
> git obviously doesn't support the existing database format version. The notmuch
> version from my current debian installation results in the same warning.
>
> I should mention that I have used notmuch and alot from git before without any
> problems. So I think the problem might be related to one of the other packages
> needed for alot: python-notmuch or libnotmuch3. I've tried these packages
> from debian stable and unstable without success.

If you're running a pre-release version of notmuch, then you should also
get the libraries and python bindings from the same version of the
source. In particular the python bindings from git look for libnotmuch4

* Re: database version conflict
@ 2014-10-16 17:07   ` Sepp Tannhuber
From: Sepp Tannhuber @ 2014-10-16 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Bremner, notmuch@notmuchmail.org

David Bremner <david@tethera.net> schrieb am 18:10 Donnerstag, 16.Oktober 2014:

> If you're running a pre-release version of notmuch, then you should also
> get the libraries and python bindings from the same version of the
> source. In particular the python bindings from git look for libnotmuch4

I don't know what I have to do now. /usr/local/lib/libnotmuch.so.4 is already
there. I've also made
  easy_install notmuch

But if I remove the python-notmuch and libnotmuch3 packages with debian's
uninstaller, alot doesn't start anymore:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/alot", line 19, in <module>
    from alot.init import main
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/alot/init.py", line 11, in <module>
    from alot.db.manager import DBManager
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/alot/db/__init__.py", line 5, in <module>
    from thread import Thread
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/alot/db/thread.py", line 6, in <module>
    from message import Message
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/alot/db/message.py", line 8, in <module>
    from notmuch import NullPointerError
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/notmuch-0.15.2-py2.7.egg/notmuch/__init__.py", line 54, in <module>
    from .database import Database
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/notmuch-0.15.2-py2.7.egg/notmuch/database.py", line 24, in <module>
    from .globals import (
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/notmuch-0.15.2-py2.7.egg/notmuch/globals.py", line 27, in <module>
    raise ImportError("Could not find shared 'notmuch' library.")
ImportError: Could not find shared 'notmuch' library.

So my next question is how to install python-notmuch from source instead of debian's
installer.

* Re: database version conflict
@ 2014-10-16 18:07     ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2014-10-16 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sepp Tannhuber, notmuch@notmuchmail.org

Sepp Tannhuber <sepp.tannhuber@yahoo.de> writes:

> David Bremner <david@tethera.net> schrieb am 18:10 Donnerstag, 16.Oktober 2014:
>

>> If you're running a pre-release version of notmuch, then you should also
>> get the libraries and python bindings from the same version of the
>> source. In particular the python bindings from git look for libnotmuch4
>

> I don't know what I have to do now. /usr/local/lib/libnotmuch.so.4 is already
> there. I've also made
>   easy_install notmuch

If you're on debian, why don't you try "make debian-snapshot"
This will make debian packages from current git.

* Re: database version conflict
@ 2014-10-16 20:29       ` Sepp Tannhuber
From: Sepp Tannhuber @ 2014-10-16 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Bremner, notmuch@notmuchmail.org

David Bremner <david@tethera.net> schrieb am 20:07 Donnerstag, 16.Oktober 2014:

> If you're on debian, why don't you try "make debian-snapshot"
> This will make debian packages from current git.

It fails:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/dh_python3", line 34, in <module>
    from debpython.debhelper import DebHelper
ImportError: No module named debpython.debhelper

* Re: database version conflict
@ 2014-10-16 21:25         ` Sepp Tannhuber
From: Sepp Tannhuber @ 2014-10-16 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Bremner, notmuch@notmuchmail.org

It's solved. I made
  python setup.py build
  sudo python setup.py install
in bindings/python. And that's it.

* Re: database version conflict
@ 2014-10-17  5:53         ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2014-10-17  5:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sepp Tannhuber, notmuch@notmuchmail.org

Sepp Tannhuber <sepp.tannhuber@yahoo.de> writes:

> David Bremner <david@tethera.net> schrieb am 20:07 Donnerstag, 16.Oktober 2014:
>
>> If you're on debian, why don't you try "make debian-snapshot"
>> This will make debian packages from current git.
>
> It fails:
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/bin/dh_python3", line 34, in <module>
>     from debpython.debhelper import DebHelper
> ImportError: No module named debpython.debhelper

I'm glad you solved your problem, but this part sounds like something is
wrong (or at least unusual) with your Debian system.  In my Jessie
system debpython.debihelper is part of the python-minimal; this is a
dependency of the package "python".

* Re: database version conflict
@ 2014-10-17  6:09           ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2014-10-17  6:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sepp Tannhuber, notmuch@notmuchmail.org

David Bremner <david@tethera.net> writes:

> Sepp Tannhuber <sepp.tannhuber@yahoo.de> writes:
>
>> David Bremner <david@tethera.net> schrieb am 20:07 Donnerstag, 16.Oktober 2014:
>>
>>> If you're on debian, why don't you try "make debian-snapshot"
>>> This will make debian packages from current git.
>>
>> It fails:
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "/usr/bin/dh_python3", line 34, in <module>
>>     from debpython.debhelper import DebHelper
>> ImportError: No module named debpython.debhelper
>
> I'm glad you solved your problem, but this part sounds like something is
> wrong (or at least unusual) with your Debian system.  In my Jessie
> system debpython.debihelper is part of the python-minimal; this is a
> dependency of the package "python".

According to the dh_python author, even in old versions of dh_python
those files were part of the same package. So I guess something is most
likely broken with your installation of dh_python3.

* Re: database version conflict
@ 2014-10-17  6:28             ` Sepp Tannhuber
From: Sepp Tannhuber @ 2014-10-17  6:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Bremner, notmuch@notmuchmail.org

David Bremner <david@tethera.net> schrieb am 8:09 Freitag, 17.Oktober 2014:

> According to the dh_python author, even in old versions of dh_python
> those files were part of the same package. So I guess something is most
> likely broken with your installation of dh_python3.

Thank you very much for your quick answers. That's why I like open source.
Perhaps, I could check it in the near future. At the moment I'm busy.
Indeed, there are a couple of strange things going on. That's the reason why I
eliminated my 13 years old debian testing and installed stable with a few
backports.

Have a nice weekend
Joseph