* [EMACS] feature proposal (with code): notmuch-rainbow-tags.el
@ 2021-05-13 14:51 Alexander Adolf
From: Alexander Adolf @ 2021-05-13 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: notmuch

Hello,

I have been a contributor to the astroid email client [1], which is
based on notmuch. I've now fully committed to living in Emacs.

One thing that intrigued me about astroid, is its "rainbow tags" feature
(see screenshot at [1]).

[1] https://astroidmail.github.io

I thought "This should be possible in Emacs, too!", and the result is
the attached Emacs package (along with a screenshot).

Cheers, and looking forward to your thoughts,

  --alexander

[-- Attachment #2: notmuch-rainbow-tags.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 107164 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: notmuch-rainbow-tags.el --]

* Re: [EMACS] feature proposal (with code): notmuch-rainbow-tags.el
@ 2021-08-02 13:58 ` Dan Čermák
From: Dan Čermák @ 2021-08-02 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Adolf; +Cc: notmuch

Hi Alexander,

Alexander Adolf <alexander.adolf@condition-alpha.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I have been a contributor to the astroid email client [1], which is
> based on notmuch. I've now fully committed to living in Emacs.
>
> One thing that intrigued me about astroid, is its "rainbow tags" feature
> (see screenshot at [1]).
>
> [1] https://astroidmail.github.io
>
> I thought "This should be possible in Emacs, too!", and the result is
> the attached Emacs package (along with a screenshot).
>

> Cheers, and looking forward to your thoughts,

This looks great!

Do you have any plans on submitting this package to Melpa?

Cheers,

Dan

P.S.: I believe your message got stuck in the moderation queue and
reached everyone just recently.

* Re: [EMACS] feature proposal (with code): notmuch-rainbow-tags.el
@ 2021-08-09 16:10   ` Alexander Adolf
From: Alexander Adolf @ 2021-08-09 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Čermák; +Cc: notmuch

Hello Dan,

Dan Čermák <dan.cermak@posteo.net> writes:

> [...]
> P.S.: I believe your message got stuck in the moderation queue and
> reached everyone just recently.

No worries. This is a busy list.

> [...]
>> One thing that intrigued me about astroid, is its "rainbow tags" feature
>> (see screenshot at [1]).
>>
>> [1] https://astroidmail.github.io
>>
>> I thought "This should be possible in Emacs, too!", and the result is
>> the attached Emacs package (along with a screenshot).
>> [...]
>
> This looks great!

Thanks! Glad you enjoy it, too.

> Do you have any plans on submitting this package to Melpa?

That was the other option. I thought I'd post it here first, to see
whether there would be any momentum for including it in notmuch itself?
When it's simply loaded, it doesn't do anything. Activating it is as
simple as requiring it. Thus, IMHO, making it part of the notmuch
package could be seen as "low risk".

As opposed to the "competition", this package works well regardless of
where in the format string the tags are located. ;-)

Also, I'm introducing a new mechanism for hiding tags from search
results. The vanilla notmuch.el offers this for the notmuch-hello screen
only.

@ 2021-08-12 21:33     ` Dan Čermák
From: Dan Čermák @ 2021-08-12 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Adolf; +Cc: notmuch

Hi Alexander,

Alexander Adolf <alexander.adolf@condition-alpha.com> writes:

> That was the other option. I thought I'd post it here first, to see
> whether there would be any momentum for including it in notmuch
> itself?

That actually sounds like a good idea. Maybe just send it as a patch to
the mailinglist? Not sure if there is really a different process for
getting something included in notmuch.

Cheers,

Dan

* Re: [EMACS] feature proposal (with code): notmuch-rainbow-tags.el
@ 2021-08-13 13:35       ` David Bremner
From: David Bremner @ 2021-08-13 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Čermák, Alexander Adolf; +Cc: notmuch

Dan Čermák <dan.cermak@posteo.net> writes:

> Hi Alexander,
>
> Alexander Adolf <alexander.adolf@condition-alpha.com> writes:
>

>> That was the other option. I thought I'd post it here first, to see
>> whether there would be any momentum for including it in notmuch
>> itself?
>
> That actually sounds like a good idea. Maybe just send it as a patch to
> the mailinglist? Not sure if there is really a different process for
> getting something included in notmuch.

You're certainly welcome to send it as a patch (not to be confused with
"patches welcome!" ;)), but it might also make sense to get more
feedback.  My only concern would be dependencies, which seems fine
(there are none?). On the other hand, I tend to be not the most expert
or most opinionated about emacs UI fine points, so it would be good to
hear a bit broader feedback.

* Re: [EMACS] feature proposal (with code): notmuch-rainbow-tags.el
@ 2021-08-20  9:32         ` Tom Hirschowitz
From: Tom Hirschowitz @ 2021-08-20  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Bremner, Dan Čermák, Alexander Adolf; +Cc: notmuch

Well, here's one: I tried it with my usual theme, which is rather dark,
and it looked bad. Tried to fiddle with it a bit, but not long enough to
succeed, whence gave up.

@ 2021-09-01 15:46           ` Alexander Adolf
From: Alexander Adolf @ 2021-09-01 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Hirschowitz, David Bremner, Dan Čermák; +Cc: notmuch

Hello Tom,

Tom Hirschowitz <tom.hirschowitz@univ-smb.fr> writes:

> Well, here's one: I tried it with my usual theme, which is rather dark,
> and it looked bad. Tried to fiddle with it a bit, but not long enough to
> succeed, whence gave up.
> [...]

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Would it seem overly onerous to make a screenshot, an explain what you
disliked/would have expected? Happy to adapt the defaults, or have
different defaults for dark and light modes.

Many thanks and looking forward to your thoughts,

  --alexander

* Re: [EMACS] feature proposal (with code): notmuch-rainbow-tags.el
@ 2021-09-01 15:57             ` Tom Hirschowitz
From: Tom Hirschowitz @ 2021-09-01 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Adolf, David Bremner, Dan Čermák; +Cc: notmuch