unofficial mirror of meta@public-inbox.org
* Read emails in the archive
@ 2021-10-14 22:38 Jεan Sacren
From: Jεan Sacren @ 2021-10-14 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta

public-inbox developers,

I'm totally new to public-inbox.  But I checked out the whole tree and
built using the master branch[0].

If I execute this[1]:

	git clone --mirror http://lore.kernel.org/netdev/0 netdev/git/0.git
	git clone --mirror http://lore.kernel.org/netdev/1 netdev/git/1.git
	git clone --mirror http://lore.kernel.org/netdev/2 netdev/git/2.git
	public-inbox-init -V2 netdev netdev/ http://lore.kernel.org/netdev \
		netdev@vger.kernel.org
	public-inbox-index netdev

Will I be able to access all the emails locally using MUA?

[0] https://public-inbox.org/public-inbox.git
[1] https://lore.kernel.org/netdev/_/text/mirror/

Thank you,

--
Jεan Sacren

* Re: Read emails in the archive
@ 2021-10-14 23:06 ` Eric Wong
From: Eric Wong @ 2021-10-14 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jεan Sacren; +Cc: meta

Jεan Sacren <sakiwit@gmail.com> wrote:
> public-inbox developers,
>
> I'm totally new to public-inbox.  But I checked out the whole tree and
> built using the master branch[0].
>
> If I execute this[1]:
>
> 	git clone --mirror http://lore.kernel.org/netdev/0 netdev/git/0.git
> 	git clone --mirror http://lore.kernel.org/netdev/1 netdev/git/1.git
> 	git clone --mirror http://lore.kernel.org/netdev/2 netdev/git/2.git
> 	public-inbox-init -V2 netdev netdev/ http://lore.kernel.org/netdev \
> 		netdev@vger.kernel.org
> 	public-inbox-index netdev
>
> Will I be able to access all the emails locally using MUA?

Not exactly.  You can start:

	public-inbox-httpd -l 127.0.0.1:8080 -W0

And browse http://127.0.0.1:8080/netdev/
If you add a newsgroup parameter to the config:

	git config -f ~/.public-inbox/config \
		publicinbox.netdev.newsgroup org.kernel.vger.netdev

You can also start public-inbox-imapd or public-inbox-nntpd
(-l $HOST:$PORT) to open via your IMAP client or NNTP reader

With public-inbox.git, you can also try lei:

	lei add-external /path/to/local/netdev
	lei q SEARCH_TERMS... -o /tmp/results-Maildir

lei is still a work-in-progress, so it could be on the rough
side.  "lei q" gets used the most, though, so maybe it's better
than the rest (and add-external w/o --mirror is trivial).

* Re: Read emails in the archive
@ 2021-10-15 14:08   ` Eric W. Biederman
From: Eric W. Biederman @ 2021-10-15 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Wong; +Cc: Jεan Sacren, meta

Eric Wong <e@80x24.org> writes:

> Jεan Sacren <sakiwit@gmail.com> wrote:
>> public-inbox developers,
>>
>> I'm totally new to public-inbox.  But I checked out the whole tree and
>> built using the master branch[0].
>>
>> If I execute this[1]:
>>
>> 	git clone --mirror http://lore.kernel.org/netdev/0 netdev/git/0.git
>> 	git clone --mirror http://lore.kernel.org/netdev/1 netdev/git/1.git
>> 	git clone --mirror http://lore.kernel.org/netdev/2 netdev/git/2.git
>> 	public-inbox-init -V2 netdev netdev/ http://lore.kernel.org/netdev \
>> 		netdev@vger.kernel.org
>> 	public-inbox-index netdev
>>
>> Will I be able to access all the emails locally using MUA?
>
> Not exactly.  You can start:
>
> 	public-inbox-httpd -l 127.0.0.1:8080 -W0
>
> And browse http://127.0.0.1:8080/netdev/
> If you add a newsgroup parameter to the config:
>
> 	git config -f ~/.public-inbox/config \
> 		publicinbox.netdev.newsgroup org.kernel.vger.netdev
>
> You can also start public-inbox-imapd or public-inbox-nntpd
> (-l $HOST:$PORT) to open via your IMAP client or NNTP reader
>
> With public-inbox.git, you can also try lei:
>
> 	lei add-external /path/to/local/netdev
> 	lei q SEARCH_TERMS... -o /tmp/results-Maildir
>
> lei is still a work-in-progress, so it could be on the rough
> side.  "lei q" gets used the most, though, so maybe it's better
> than the rest (and add-external w/o --mirror is trivial).

You can also start public-inbox-nntpd and any MUA that speaks
NNTP can read everything.

Eric