unofficial mirror of meta@public-inbox.org
* Updating index from public-inbox-mda fails on Perl 5.34
@ 2021-08-06 14:19 Toke Høiland-Jørgensen
From: Toke Høiland-Jørgensen @ 2021-08-06 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta

Hi

I'm having an issue with public-inbox-mda failing to update the
indexes. It's importing the message into the git repository just fine,
but failing to update the index with the following error:

Issuing rollback() due to DESTROY without explicit disconnect() of DBD::SQLite::db handle dbname=/var/lib/publicinbox/galene/public-inbox/xapian15/over.sqlite3 at /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/PublicInbox/Import.pm line 187.
/var/lib/publicinbox/galene index failed: Can't call method "get_metadata" on an undefined value at /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/PublicInbox/SearchIdx.pm line 745.

Subsequently running the public-inbox-index command on the repository
updates the index (and thus the web interface).

Any idea what might be the issue here? I'm running public-inbox v1.6.1
and the archive is in v1 format. It worked previously, and I *think* the
failure started after the system Perl installation was upgraded from
v5.32 to v5.34 (I'm running this on Arch Linux).

Any ideas?

Thanks,
-Toke

* Re: Updating index from public-inbox-mda fails on Perl 5.34
@ 2021-08-06 20:36 ` Eric Wong
From: Eric Wong @ 2021-08-06 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Toke Høiland-Jørgensen; +Cc: meta

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <toke@toke.dk> wrote:
> Issuing rollback() due to DESTROY without explicit disconnect() of DBD::SQLite::db handle dbname=/var/lib/publicinbox/galene/public-inbox/xapian15/over.sqlite3 at /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/PublicInbox/Import.pm line 187.
> /var/lib/publicinbox/galene index failed: Can't call method "get_metadata" on an undefined value at /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/PublicInbox/SearchIdx.pm line 745.
>
> Subsequently running the public-inbox-index command on the repository
> updates the index (and thus the web interface).
>
> Any idea what might be the issue here? I'm running public-inbox v1.6.1
> and the archive is in v1 format. It worked previously, and I *think* the
> failure started after the system Perl installation was upgraded from
> v5.32 to v5.34 (I'm running this on Arch Linux).
>
> Any ideas?

Is Xapian enabled and working for that inbox?
(Or are you using indexlevel=basic which doesn't use Xapian?).

I wonder if upgrading 5.32 => 5.34 left your Xapian bindings behind
in 5.32...  In any case, there probably ought to be a better
error message in public-inbox indicating such a failure.

* Re: Updating index from public-inbox-mda fails on Perl 5.34
@ 2021-08-06 20:51   ` Toke Høiland-Jørgensen
From: Toke Høiland-Jørgensen @ 2021-08-06 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Wong; +Cc: meta

Eric Wong <e@80x24.org> writes:

> Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <toke@toke.dk> wrote:
>> Issuing rollback() due to DESTROY without explicit disconnect() of DBD::SQLite::db handle dbname=/var/lib/publicinbox/galene/public-inbox/xapian15/over.sqlite3 at /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/PublicInbox/Import.pm line 187.
>> /var/lib/publicinbox/galene index failed: Can't call method "get_metadata" on an undefined value at /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl/PublicInbox/SearchIdx.pm line 745.
>>
>> Subsequently running the public-inbox-index command on the repository
>> updates the index (and thus the web interface).
>>
>> Any idea what might be the issue here? I'm running public-inbox v1.6.1
>> and the archive is in v1 format. It worked previously, and I *think* the
>> failure started after the system Perl installation was upgraded from
>> v5.32 to v5.34 (I'm running this on Arch Linux).
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> Is Xapian enabled and working for that inbox?
> (Or are you using indexlevel=basic which doesn't use Xapian?).
>
> I wonder if upgrading 5.32 => 5.34 left your Xapian bindings behind
> in 5.32...

Bingo! That was indeed the issue; I'm building the required packages
myself, and simply forgot to rebuild the Perl libraries after the
upgrade. Should have thought of that; thanks!

But how did public-inbox-index work, then? Is that not using the Xapian
bindings as well?

> In any case, there probably ought to be a better error message in
> public-inbox indicating such a failure.

Heh, yeah, that would be nice :)

-Toke