unofficial mirror of meta@public-inbox.org
From: Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com>
To: Soft Works <softworkz@hotmail.com>
Cc: meta@public-inbox.org
Subject: Re: Questions about Public Inbox setup and configuration
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2021 15:13:49 -0500	[thread overview]

Soft Works writes:

> Though, I have a number of questions to which I couldn’t find an answer.
>
> 1. At the top of the page it says "($INBOX_DIR/description missing)", even
>    though the maildir contains a description file.
>    (interestingly, several mirrors are 'suffering' for the same problem)
>    How can I fix this?

Hmm, maildir?  Perhaps the issue is that you're placing this file in the
wrong place.  The description file for each inbox should be at the
directory pointed to by publicinbox.$name.inboxdir in
~/.public-inbox/config.  The first time you add it, you may need to
restart or send a SIGHUP to the httpd service, but my understanding is
that should be unnecessary as of v1.7.0 (specifically commit b9e7ecbb,
inbox: drop memoization/preload, cleanup expires caches).

> 2. How are the HTML views generated? Are there any templates that I could
>    modify?

No, I don't think there are any templates you can modify.  In order to
see how the HTML is generated, perhaps lib/PublicInbox/WWW*.pm files and
lib/PublicInbox/View.pm would be the best source files to start with.

> 3. When a message cannot be found, it shows a list of mirrors to check for
>    that message. How can I disable this?
>    (it's more than unlikely that any of them would have it)

Those URLs are hard coded in lib/PublicInbox/ExtMsg.pm, and there's no
way to change them or disable their display via configuration yet.
However, there is a TODO comment in that file about making the list
user-configurable, so I imagine Eric would be open to a patch.

> 4. The services are running behind NGINX which forwards the requests to
>    a local-only port. Now the www interface is showing URLs at many places
>    like http://localhost:8123/mailbox instead of the public URL.
>    How can I set this up correctly?

Have you tried something like

  proxy_set_header    HOST $host;

?

See public-inbox's examples/nginx_proxy for an example.