unofficial mirror of meta@public-inbox.org
From: Eric Wong <e@80x24.org>
To: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@gentoo.org>
Cc: meta@public-inbox.org
Subject: Re: CSS behaviors bug report: dark/light switch non-functional
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2024 00:04:57 +0000	[thread overview]

"Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@gentoo.org> wrote:
> I wanted to include a patch, but no obvious way without it being messy
> really stood out, so this is only a bug report.

Yeah, I've been taking a stab at this in between other things but
not really making progress.

> contrib/css describes using the 'prefers-color-scheme' media query
> selector, but Gentoo got a report that the selection between light &
> dark didn't work.

I'm not even sure how that works anymore with fingerprint resistance.

Which browsers + versions + configs are they using?

Will need some testing from others here...

> One of the other devs traced it down to nuances of the HTML link media
> attribute: query expressions are not valid in the HTML variant in some
> browsers.

OK

> This is also mentioned here:
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/69113672/loading-css-based-on-prefers-color-scheme-media-query
>
> As a workaround, I merged the two files with a wrapper, but it feels
> sub-optimal, because the entire text gets injected into the PI HTML.
>
> ```
> @media(prefers-color-scheme: dark) {
>  ... #content of 216dark
> }
> @media(prefers-color-scheme: light) {
>  ... #content of 216light
> }
> ```

Yeah.

> I think the cleanest solution would be a variant of the above:
> clauses, but with @import statements inside them, and making PI-httpd
> expose all the CSS Files.

I think a safe way is to allow loading any CSS files present in
the same directory as an admin-specified CSS file.  IOW,
	public-inbox.css = /path/to/foo/216dark.css

Will allow autoloading all /path/to/foo/*.css files.

Also, I don't think @import works inside @media,
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/@import says:

| The @import CSS at-rule is used to import style rules from other valid
| stylesheets. An @import rule must be defined at the top of the stylesheet,
| before any other at-rule (except @charset and @layer) and style declarations,
| or it will be ignored.

So I think it'd have to be something like:

@import url('216dark.css') screen and (prefers-color-scheme: light)

If I'm understanding that correctly.

Hopefully I'll be back in a few hours or tomorrow with something
to test...