unofficial mirror of meta@public-inbox.org
From: Henrik Grimler <henrik@grimler.se>
To: Eric Wong <e@80x24.org>
Cc: meta@public-inbox.org
Subject: Re: [Bug] lei: extra quotes inserted into query with AND/OR
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2023 12:59:16 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi Eric,

On Sun, Nov 12, 2023 at 09:02:49AM +0000, Eric Wong wrote:
> Henrik Grimler <henrik@grimler.se> wrote:
> > Hi Eric,

> > > Don't use quotes unless you want a phrase search.
> >
> > The quotes are added by lei (or some dependency) when query contains
> > space. Happens also if I search for a single file:
> >   lei q -I https://lore.kernel.org/all/ -o ~/mail/foo ' dfn:COPYING'
> > which results in this curl cmd:
> >   /usr/bin/curl -Sf -s -d '' https://lore.kernel.org/all/?x=m&q=+dfn%3A%22COPYING%22
> > where %22 then is "
>
> Right, spaces require quotes in sh and lei inserts quotes when
> it sees spaces assuming it's a phrase search.  Most queries
> involving filenames don't have spaces, and your original query
> shouldn't have spaces.  It's 3 separate args in @argv of
> `lei_q': [ "dfn:COPYING", "OR", "dfn:Makefile" ]
>
> In other words, no quotes or spaces are needed in your case at all:
>
> $ lei q dfn:COPYING OR dfn:Makefile
> (I've omitted the -I and -o args for brevity)
>
> Your original query only passes 1 arg due to single or double quotes
> handled in the shell (assuming POSIX-like sh or bash):
>
> $ lei q 'dfn:COPYING OR dfn:Makefile' # don't do this
> $ lei q "dfn:COPYING OR dfn:Makefile" # don't do this, either
>
> In both cases the `lei_q' subroutine would only see
> [ "dfn:COPYING OR dfn:Makefile" ] in its @argv.
>
> If you have odd cases where you really need spaces in a single
> token and maybe not phrase search, --stdin can probably get what
> you want more reliably:
>
> $ echo 'dfn:"some filename with spaces" AND something.else' | lei q --stdin
>
> Hope that helps.

Aha, I see, thanks for the explanation! Without the single quotes, and
after escaping parantheses, lei works as expected.

For the record, I read some old posts where query was '' quoted, and
thought it was the way to do it (for example
https://people.kernel.org/monsieuricon/lore-lei-part-1-getting-started
and https://josefbacik.github.io/kernel/2021/10/18/lei-and-b4.html)

Best regards,
Henrik Grimler