unofficial mirror of meta@public-inbox.org
From: Konstantin Ryabitsev <konstantin@linuxfoundation.org>
To: meta@public-inbox.org
Subject: RFC: lei searches managed by users in git
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 17:08:32 -0400	[thread overview]

Hello:

I am curious what is the best approach to have a centrally managed set of lei
searches, for example via config files tracked in git. For example, the file
could look like this:

mricon.toml:

    [search.torvalds]
        # All mail sent by torvalds
        q = 'f:torvalds@linux-foundation.org'
    [search.floppy]
        # Any messages talking about floppies or touching floppy code
        q = 'dfhh:floppy_* OR dfn:drivers/block/floppy.c OR s:floppy OR ((nq:bug OR nq:regression) AND nq:floppy)'

I could then have a small wrapper maintaining saved searches and making the
mailboxes available via special newsgroups like:

    org.kernel.lei.mricon.torvalds
    org.kernel.lei.mricon.floppy

The goal is to make it possible for maintainers to define their own set of
saved searches and have access to them at kernel.org via imap/pop3/nntp.

It's easy to write a simple wrapper that would invoke lei-edit-search and
replace the search string when there are updates to the config files, but I'm
curious if you already have thoughts on how to best implement something like
this.

My biggest concern is someone committing an invalid query and not receiving
any more email as a result -- so having a sane way to validate the query
before sticking it into the saved search would be handy.

-K