unofficial mirror of meta@public-inbox.org
* existing mail protocol thoughts (POP3 vs NNTP vs IMAP)
@ 2022-08-14 18:16 Eric Wong
From: Eric Wong @ 2022-08-14 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta

Random thinking aloud on existing mail protocols...

POP3 doesn't support compression, so that makes it wasteful.
We also use a wonky account system to track deletes.

POP3 is not supported by lei, yet, and Net::POP3 has the same
performance problem as Net::NNTP and Mail::IMAPClient in that it
lacks pipelining support.

NNTP mandates extra headers (Path:, Newsgroup:, Xref:) which can
waste space and screw up exact dedupe and DKIM checking.
Compression support is still lacking in Net::NNTP[1].

IMAP supports compression, and doesn't add/modify existing
headers at all.  So I think it's the least bad from that
perspective, but we need to slice it into multiple mailboxes
to avoid overloading clients.

JMAP doesn't have many widely available CLI client options in
distros, atm (e.g. mpop, getmail, offlineimap, isync/mbsync,
etc...)

[1] Net::NNTP COMPRESS support patch:

only message in thread, other threads:[~2022-08-14 18:16 UTC | newest]