unofficial mirror of meta@public-inbox.org
* mbox support in other software
@ 2021-09-16  7:34 Eric Wong
From: Eric Wong @ 2021-09-16  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta

Since I've written the lei-mail-formats manpage, I've been
curious what other software differentiates between the various
mbox formats and supports several/all of them?

AFAIK, none of the Perl Mail::* stuff does, nor does Email::Folder
(AFAIK abandoned).  I haven't looked at libraries for Python nor
other languages...

git supports mboxo and mboxrd, nowadays; but it seems like most
other software only know how to deal with one of the mbox family
(and mixing software on the same mbox leads to bad things).

* Re: mbox support in other software
@ 2021-09-16 13:59 ` Konstantin Ryabitsev
From: Konstantin Ryabitsev @ 2021-09-16 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Wong; +Cc: meta

On Thu, Sep 16, 2021 at 07:34:37AM +0000, Eric Wong wrote:
> Since I've written the lei-mail-formats manpage, I've been
> curious what other software differentiates between the various
> mbox formats and supports several/all of them?
>
> AFAIK, none of the Perl Mail::* stuff does, nor does Email::Folder
> (AFAIK abandoned).  I haven't looked at libraries for Python nor
> other languages...

Python only does mboxo. I've switched to using git-mailsplit in b4 because of
various quirks of interaction between mboxrd and mboxo.

> git supports mboxo and mboxrd, nowadays; but it seems like most
> other software only know how to deal with one of the mbox family
> (and mixing software on the same mbox leads to bad things).

I'm not 100% sure git does the right thing with mboxo, see my tirade here:
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/utils/b4/b4.git/commit/?id=4950093c0c3ee71e7045b545626d2b232271cbc8&dt=2

-K

* Re: mbox support in other software
@ 2021-09-16 20:30   ` Eric Wong
From: Eric Wong @ 2021-09-16 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konstantin Ryabitsev; +Cc: meta

Konstantin Ryabitsev <konstantin@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 16, 2021 at 07:34:37AM +0000, Eric Wong wrote:
> > git supports mboxo and mboxrd, nowadays; but it seems like most
> > other software only know how to deal with one of the mbox family
> > (and mixing software on the same mbox leads to bad things).
>
> I'm not 100% sure git does the right thing with mboxo, see my tirade here:
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/utils/b4/b4.git/commit/?id=4950093c0c3ee71e7045b545626d2b232271cbc8&dt=2

Yeah, I was wrong about git supporting mboxo.  IIRC, "mbox" used
by git relies on strict "From " line parsing so it looks for
something that looks like asctime(3) output.

IOW, "mbox" for git does its own weird thing, which also sucks.
However, git's "mboxrd" (AFAIK) does the right thing (since
I contributed it to git :>)