unofficial mirror of meta@public-inbox.org
From: Eric Wong <e@80x24.org>
To: Konstantin Ryabitsev <konstantin@linuxfoundation.org>
Cc: meta@public-inbox.org
Subject: Re: Using lei with podman + toolbox
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2021 23:36:14 +0000	[thread overview]

Konstantin Ryabitsev <konstantin@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> Hi, all:
>
> These are my quickie instructions for how to use lei in a toolbox environment
> if you are running a distribution like Fedora and don't want to install a lot
> of perl dependencies into your main OS.

Off the top of my head, I think Search::Xapian // Xapian.pm was
the main thing that was missing from CentOS 7.  Does Fedora have
that?

(disclaimer: I don't care for Docker, seems like a giant waste
of space and bandwidth compared to just using the distro)

> 1. Grab the dockerfile:
>    https://gist.github.com/mricon/046ba7c8b03bd92176dbe83e04f2466c
>
>    Right now, it's as below, though it may change in the future:
>    --- start: public-inbox.dockerfile ---
>    # Podman/Toolbox container for public-inbox
>    FROM docker.io/library/debian
>
>    LABEL com.github.containers.toolbox="true" \
>          com.github.debarshiray.toolbox="true"
>
>    RUN apt-get update && \
>        apt-get -y install sudo libcap2-bin locales vim \
>                           git liburi-perl libemail-mime-perl libplack-perl libtimedate-perl \

Email::MIME isn't used at all outside of tests (but it's widely packaged).
No idea why libcap2-bin and vim are explicit dependencies (any
editor will do).  Don't need Plack for lei, either.

>                           libdbd-sqlite3-perl libsearch-xapian-perl libnet-server-perl \
>                           libinline-c-perl libemail-address-xs-perl libparse-recdescent-perl \

No need for Net::Server nor Parse::RecDescent for lei.  I don't
use Net::Server at all outside of tests, since I use systemd.

Email::Address::XS and TimeDate can be useful for messed up
messages, but low importance (I think they're widely packaged).
E:A:X and P:RD are required for -imapd but nothing else.

>                           xapian-tools libencode-perl libdbi-perl liblinux-inotify2-perl \
>                           libio-compress-perl curl libmail-imapclient-perl libsocket-msghdr-perl \

Socket::Msghdr makes lei a teeny bit faster, but I don't think
it's worth using another distro or running a compiler to get
since Inline::C is already available in all distros.  Everything
else should be in Fedora...

>                           sqlite3 libgit2-dev make eatmydata man-db pkg-config

eatmydata shouldn't be useful outside of development, and
libgit2+pkg-config isn't used by lei, yet
(it is for -httpd/-imapd/-nntpd)