unofficial mirror of meta@public-inbox.org
* TAP output for user-facing tools?
@ 2020-06-22 17:51 Eric Wong
From: Eric Wong @ 2020-06-22 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta

Hey all, so I've been wondering about how to express
debug/tracing output to user-facing command-line tools.

Our test suite already uses TAP.  So does git.git, Perl itself
and the majority of Perl projects I've encountered.

But I haven't seen it used for user-facing CLI tools...
It seems better than inventing random new formats *shrug*

TAP = Test Anything Protocol: https://testanything.org/

* Re: TAP output for user-facing tools?
@ 2021-02-08 21:28 ` Eric Wong
From: Eric Wong @ 2021-02-08 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta

Eric Wong wrote:
> Hey all, so I've been wondering about how to express
> debug/tracing output to user-facing command-line tools.

So I've started using "#" for diagnostic/progress messages in
lei.

I may replace "I:" prefixed messages with them, at least in lei.

"W:" and "E:" will probably stay for warnings and errors,
respectively, but maybe "# W:" and "# E:" ?

> Our test suite already uses TAP.  So does git.git, Perl itself
> and the majority of Perl projects I've encountered.
>
> But I haven't seen it used for user-facing CLI tools...
> It seems better than inventing random new formats *shrug*

Other messages ("ok", "not ok", 1..$TEST_NR) may make sense
for "lei import", but not "lei q".