unofficial mirror of meta@public-inbox.org
From: Konstantin Ryabitsev <konstantin@linuxfoundation.org>
To: Eric Wong <e@80x24.org>
Cc: meta@public-inbox.org
Subject: Re: Thoughts on search-based imap mailboxes
Date: Sat, 3 Oct 2020 10:50:06 -0400	[thread overview]

On Fri, Oct 02, 2020 at 08:08:30PM +0000, Eric Wong wrote:
> Konstantin Ryabitsev <konstantin@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> > Hello:
> >
> > While discussing something else on the kernel.org users list, the
>
> Btw, is this list public?

It's not, because it's supposed to be just for people with accounts on
kernel.org and for things like maintenance and service outage
notifications. However, discussions routinely veer into various
directions, as one would expect.

> A client-side tool is likely required anyways, I'm thinking
> having saved search functionality in a local tool writing to
> Maildir/mbox might be the best way forward as w.r.t. scalability
> and offline access (and reading + saving flags from the
> Maildir/mbox).
>
> External/detached index I'm working on for global search will
> also be appropriate for client-side tooling, I think, as it's
> being designed with non-public-inbox data sources in mind, too.

Instead of a "client-side" can it just be an intermediary tool that can
run either on the client, or on any other piece of infrastructure? The
main reason I'm interested in that is because several people I know use
very thin clients for their work (chromebooks) and I would like to offer
them this service as a perk of kernel.org instead of forcing them to set
it up and maintain on their own.

-K