unofficial mirror of meta@public-inbox.org
* Epoch roll-over with imap
@ 2020-09-17 12:18 Konstantin Ryabitsev
From: Konstantin Ryabitsev @ 2020-09-17 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta

Good morning, and congratulations on 1.6.0!

I'm starting to play with the new imapd mode (currently using the imap
daemon on public-inbox.org), and I am curious how we can make it obvious
to the clients that there is a new epoch available. For example, if
someone configures mbsync to fetch things from
imaps://public-inbox.org/inbox.comp.mail.public-inbox.meta.0, how will
they become aware when epoch 1 becomes available?

Best regards,
-K

* Re: Epoch roll-over with imap
@ 2020-09-17 20:54 ` Eric Wong
From: Eric Wong @ 2020-09-17 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta

Konstantin Ryabitsev <konstantin@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> Good morning, and congratulations on 1.6.0!

Thanks.

> I'm starting to play with the new imapd mode (currently using the imap
> daemon on public-inbox.org), and I am curious how we can make it obvious
> to the clients that there is a new epoch available. For example, if
> someone configures mbsync to fetch things from
> imaps://public-inbox.org/inbox.comp.mail.public-inbox.meta.0, how will
> they become aware when epoch 1 becomes available?

mbsync(1) appears to have a "Create" option; though I haven't
used it much.  As for informing the user of the MUA of newer
mailboxes... I don't know :x

offlineimap creates new mailboxes by default, AFAIK.

Also, I'm avoiding the word "epoch" to avoid confusion with the
v2 git repos; so the world "slice" is used throughout the IMAP
daemon code.