unofficial mirror of meta@public-inbox.org
* Search based on data in follow-ups
@ 2020-05-26 19:17 Konstantin Ryabitsev
From: Konstantin Ryabitsev @ 2020-05-26 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta

Hello:

I suspect this would be Pretty Hard To Do, but wanted to mention it on
the list anyway, just as a "musing out loud." It would be cool to be
able to exclude/include results based on conditions in thread
follow-ups. E.g.:

- (subject contains "PATCH") AND (follow-up from testbot@example.com
  that contains "Passed") AND NOT (follow-up from me that contains
  "Applied|NACK")

I expect this would require client-side filtering, though, as I can't
imagine being able to sanely do this with Xapian.

Best,
-K

* Re: Search based on data in follow-ups
@ 2020-05-26 21:35 ` Eric Wong
From: Eric Wong @ 2020-05-26 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta

Konstantin Ryabitsev <konstantin@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I suspect this would be Pretty Hard To Do, but wanted to mention it on
> the list anyway, just as a "musing out loud." It would be cool to be
> able to exclude/include results based on conditions in thread
> follow-ups. E.g.:

Yup, I've wanted something like this, too.

> - (subject contains "PATCH") AND (follow-up from testbot@example.com
>   that contains "Passed") AND NOT (follow-up from me that contains
>   "Applied|NACK")
>
> I expect this would require client-side filtering, though, as I can't
> imagine being able to sanely do this with Xapian.

Without promising anything, it could be doable server-side if
we're careful to not hog the event loop.  It'll depend on the
"mairix -t" functionality I've talked about, and maybe multiple
queries to Xapian or SQLite...

It would take extra CPU for sure, what's CPU usage look like on
lore at peak times?

* Re: Search based on data in follow-ups
@ 2020-05-27 20:02   ` Konstantin Ryabitsev
From: Konstantin Ryabitsev @ 2020-05-27 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Wong; +Cc: meta

On Tue, May 26, 2020 at 09:35:50PM +0000, Eric Wong wrote:
> > - (subject contains "PATCH") AND (follow-up from testbot@example.com
> > that contains "Passed") AND NOT (follow-up from me that contains
> > "Applied|NACK")
> >
> > I expect this would require client-side filtering, though, as I can't
> > imagine being able to sanely do this with Xapian.
>
> Without promising anything, it could be doable server-side if
> we're careful to not hog the event loop.  It'll depend on the
> "mairix -t" functionality I've talked about, and maybe multiple
> queries to Xapian or SQLite...
>
> It would take extra CPU for sure, what's CPU usage look like on
> lore at peak times?

That system also houses lore.kernel.org/patchwork, and that tends to
significantly skew the load graph. At any rate, lore is not loaded at
all -- usually around 0.3.

-K