unofficial mirror of gwl-devel@gnu.org
* [Bug?] Cannot use Guix Workflow Language on Guix System
@ 2019-07-03 13:25 pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz) @ 2019-07-03 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gwl-devel

How can I use the Guix Workflow Language on Guix System?  I tried
`guix package -i gwl` as described on
<https://www.guixwl.org/getting-started> (the website appears to be
down), but the guix process and guix workflow commands do not become
available.  Apparently guix/ui.scm

  (define directory
    (and=> (search-path %load-path "guix.scm")
           (compose (cut string-append <> "/guix/scripts")
                    dirname)))

can only use the first scripts directory it finds and therefore never
uses the scripts from the gwl package.

On Debian I had written a Guix workflow to deploy a not-yet-public
Haunt website to a shared hosting provider and tried to use it on Guix
now.  (I hope that is a legitimate use case; I used gwl because I can
specify package inputs.)

I hope this is the right mailing list.

Regards,
Florian

* Re: [Bug?] Cannot use Guix Workflow Language on Guix System
@ 2019-07-03 14:53 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2019-07-03 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz); +Cc: gwl-devel

Hi Florian,

thanks for your message!

> I hope this is the right mailing list.

It is!

> (the website appears to be down)

Oh, it crashed… I fixed the bug causing the crash and the site is up
again.

> How can I use the Guix Workflow Language on Guix System?  I tried
> `guix package -i gwl` as described on
> <https://www.guixwl.org/getting-started>

The version of the gwl that’s currently available in Guix is pretty old
and I’ve been meaning to make a new release as soon as I get around to
fixing an annoying bug (in “load-workflow”).

> but the guix process and guix workflow commands do not become
> available.

Hmm.  I’m only ever using it from a git checkout with “./pre-inst-env
guix workflow” and that works just fine.  The behaviour you describe
sounds like a bug, though.

FWIW “guix process” no longer exists in the latest version, and
“GUIX_WORKFLOW_PATH” has been removed — workflows are now executed
directly from files and are no longer arranged in Guile modules.

The relationship to Guix as an extension is … difficult.  I’m evaluating
a few changes for the future, such as whether it would make sense to use
“guix repl” instead of directly extending Guix.

> On Debian I had written a Guix workflow to deploy a not-yet-public
> Haunt website to a shared hosting provider and tried to use it on Guix
> now.  (I hope that is a legitimate use case; I used gwl because I can
> specify package inputs.)

Interesting.  While the primary audience is HPC users with scientific
workflows where parallel execution of processes on a cluster is
desirable, I guess building a website automatically with GWL processes
would work fine.  Personally, I’d probably directly use a Guix build
script because this workflow does not seem to benefit much from parallel
execution.

--
Ricardo

* Re: [Bug?] Cannot use Guix Workflow Language on Guix System
@ 2019-07-03 15:00 ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2019-07-03 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz); +Cc: gwl-devel

Hi,

Thnak you for the message.

On Wed, 3 Jul 2019 at 15:48, pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
<pelzflorian@pelzflorian.de> wrote:

> How can I use the Guix Workflow Language on Guix System?  I tried
> `guix package -i gwl` as described on

Hum? I think the version of this package is a bit old.
I am not sure it will just work.

Myself, I `git clone` the GWL repo then enter in `guix environment`
with some --ad-hoc packages. Then from there I use ./pre-env-inst.

#+BEGIN_SRC shell
  guix environment \
       --ad-hoc \
       autoconf automake pkg-config texinfo \
       guile guile-commonmark guile-syntax-highlight guile-wisp
#+END_SRC

#+BEGIN_SRC shell
  aclocal
  autoconf
  automake
  ./configure
#+END_SRC

#+BEGIN_SRC shell
  ./bootstrap
  ./configure
  make -j 4
#+END_SRC

#+BEGIN_SRC shell
  GUIX_WORKFLOW_PATH=./doc/examples/ ./pre-inst-env guix workflow -r simple
#+END_SRC

Does it work for you?

> <https://www.guixwl.org/getting-started> (the website appears to be
> down),

The website does not seem down anymore.
Or you can use https://workflows.guix.info/
or workflows.guix.gnu.org

> On Debian I had written a Guix workflow to deploy a not-yet-public
> Haunt website to a shared hosting provider and tried to use it on Guix
> now.  (I hope that is a legitimate use case; I used gwl because I can
> specify package inputs.)

Interresting use case.
Could you elaborate? Or let me know when you publicly release your workflow.

> I hope this is the right mailing list.

Yes! Definitively :-)

All the best,
simon

* Re: [Bug?] Cannot use Guix Workflow Language on Guix System
@ 2019-07-03 15:36   ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2019-07-03 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun; +Cc: gwl-devel

> #+BEGIN_SRC shell
>   aclocal
>   autoconf
>   automake
>   ./configure
> #+END_SRC

“autoreconf -vif” can be used instead of “aclocal; autoconf; automake”.

> #+BEGIN_SRC shell
>   ./bootstrap
>   ./configure
>   make -j 4
> #+END_SRC

We don’t have a “bootstrap” script.

> #+BEGIN_SRC shell
>   GUIX_WORKFLOW_PATH=./doc/examples/ ./pre-inst-env guix workflow -r simple
> #+END_SRC

GUIX_WORKFLOW_PATH is no longer supported.  Instead you can do

    ./pre-inst-env guix workflow -r doc/examples/simple.scm

--
Ricardo

* Re: [Bug?] Cannot use Guix Workflow Language on Guix System
@ 2019-07-03 15:53     ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2019-07-03 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: gwl-devel

On Wed, 3 Jul 2019 at 17:36, Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> wrote:

> We don’t have a “bootstrap” script.

Hum? Maybe an old stuff.  I have one containing:

#!/bin/sh
# Create the build system.

set -e -x
exec autoreconf -vfi

> > #+BEGIN_SRC shell
> >   GUIX_WORKFLOW_PATH=./doc/examples/ ./pre-inst-env guix workflow -r simple
> > #+END_SRC
>
> GUIX_WORKFLOW_PATH is no longer supported.  Instead you can do
>
>     ./pre-inst-env guix workflow -r doc/examples/simple.scm

Yes, sorry I copy/paste too quickly my notes :-)

All the best,
simon

* Re: [Bug?] Cannot use Guix Workflow Language on Guix System
@ 2019-07-03 18:49       ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2019-07-03 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun; +Cc: gwl-devel

> On Wed, 3 Jul 2019 at 17:36, Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> wrote:
>
>> We don’t have a “bootstrap” script.
>
> Hum? Maybe an old stuff.  I have one […]

Oh, yes, wrong project, sorry.  So instead of “autoreconf -vif” just run
“./bootstrap”.

--
Ricardo

* Re: [Bug?] Cannot use Guix Workflow Language on Guix System
@ 2019-07-03 21:23   ` pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz) @ 2019-07-03 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus, zimoun; +Cc: gwl-devel

Hi Ricardo & Simon,

On Wed, Jul 03, 2019 at 04:53:06PM +0200, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
> Oh, it crashed… I fixed the bug causing the crash and the site is up
> again.

The website looks nicer than before, thank you!  (This Wisp style of
Scheme seems easier to use with text editors that do not support
indenting parentheses, but I would need to learn Wisp before I can
fully understand it.  It is probably easy like Scheme proper.  I see
the parenthetical Scheme examples still exist in the Git repo.)

> On Wed, 3 Jul 2019 at 15:48, pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
> <pelzflorian@pelzflorian.de> wrote:
> > On Debian I had written a Guix workflow to deploy a not-yet-public
> > Haunt website to a shared hosting provider and tried to use it on Guix
> > now.  (I hope that is a legitimate use case; I used gwl because I can
> > specify package inputs.)
>
> Interesting.  While the primary audience is HPC users with scientific
> workflows where parallel execution of processes on a cluster is
> desirable, I guess building a website automatically with GWL processes
> would work fine.  Personally, I’d probably directly use a Guix build
> script because this workflow does not seem to benefit much from parallel
> execution.

I see.  I will rewrite it then using:

(run-with-store (open-connection) (gexp->derivation …))

because it currently seems easier to explain and simpler for my
limited needs.

Maybe you could explain on the website and in the Guix package
description which uses gwl is good for and why.  I am not really
familiar with scientific workflows and what they are used for in
practice.

> […]
> FWIW “guix process” no longer exists in the latest version, and
> “GUIX_WORKFLOW_PATH” has been removed — workflows are now executed
> directly from files and are no longer arranged in Guile modules.

So my old file cannot work.

On Wed, Jul 03, 2019 at 05:00:38PM +0200, zimoun wrote:
> Myself, I `git clone` the GWL repo then enter in `guix environment`
> with some --ad-hoc packages. Then from there I use ./pre-env-inst.
> […]

It works (with the example workflow)!  (I omitted aclocal, autoconf,
automake.)

> > On Debian I had written a Guix workflow to deploy a not-yet-public
> > Haunt website to a shared hosting provider and tried to use it on Guix
> > now.  (I hope that is a legitimate use case; I used gwl because I can
> > specify package inputs.)
>
> Interresting use case.
> Could you elaborate? Or let me know when you publicly release your workflow.

I attach it.  It is not the most beautiful code, but maybe you get the
idea.  I am using ssh to set up a git repository on the remote server
and add a git hook to rebuild the website with each push like kind of
a poor man’s continuous integration.

@ 2019-07-03 21:24     ` pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz) @ 2019-07-03 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus, zimoun; +Cc: gwl-devel