I've added a few lines to the contributing section of the manual. It says that users actually have to clone the guix repo before running guix environment guix. I actually made the mistake a week or two ago. #+BEGIN_SRC sh guix environment guix ./bootstrap #+END_SRC When nothing happened I was really confused. When I asked about it on #guix, I was told that I actually have to have the repo first. Hopefully this patch will make that a bit clearer. P.S. Maybe I'm overthinking this, and I just made a rookie mistake. P.P.S. I also hope I'm sending this to the right mailing list.