all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Manual pages for glibc.
@ 2017-08-09  8:49 Roel Janssen
From: Roel Janssen @ 2017-08-09  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix@gnu.org

Dear Guix,

Which package do I need to install to be able to read the man pages of
functions in glibc like 'snprintf' and 'malloc'?

I installed glibc, but that does not seem to provide the man pages.

Kind regards,
Roel Janssen

* Re: Manual pages for glibc.
@ 2017-08-09 11:18 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2017-08-09 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roel Janssen; +Cc: help-guix@gnu.org

Hi Roel,

> Which package do I need to install to be able to read the man pages of
> functions in glibc like 'snprintf' and 'malloc'?
>
> I installed glibc, but that does not seem to provide the man pages.

Here’s what I did:

    unionfs $(printf "%s:" /gnu/store/*/share/info) ~/tmp/info

This gives me a union of all the beautiful info manuals in the store.
To read the GNU libc’s info manual I do this in Emacs:

   C-u C-h i ~/tmp/info/libc.info.gz RET

It opens up the manual and I can search for snprintf in the index with
“i snprintf RET”.

Not sure about the man pages, though.

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
https://elephly.net

* Re: Manual pages for glibc.
@ 2017-08-09 11:49   ` Roel Janssen
From: Roel Janssen @ 2017-08-09 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: help-guix@gnu.org

Ricardo Wurmus writes:

> Hi Roel,
>
>> Which package do I need to install to be able to read the man pages of
>> functions in glibc like 'snprintf' and 'malloc'?
>>
>> I installed glibc, but that does not seem to provide the man pages.
>
> Here’s what I did:
>
>     unionfs $(printf "%s:" /gnu/store/*/share/info) ~/tmp/info
>
> This gives me a union of all the beautiful info manuals in the store.
> To read the GNU libc’s info manual I do this in Emacs:
>
>    C-u C-h i ~/tmp/info/libc.info.gz RET
>
> It opens up the manual and I can search for snprintf in the index with
> “i snprintf RET”.
>
> Not sure about the man pages, though.

Right.  Thanks for this solution.  On GuixSD, the info pages for libc
are automatically available in Emacs, so I can look up the functions
there.

It would still be nice to have the man-pages as well, because they are a
little more descriptive some times.

Kind regards,
Roel Janssen

* Re: Manual pages for glibc.
@ 2017-08-09 19:43 ` Alex Kost
From: Alex Kost @ 2017-08-09 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roel Janssen; +Cc: help-guix@gnu.org

Roel Janssen (2017-08-09 10:49 +0200) wrote:

> Dear Guix,
>
> Which package do I need to install to be able to read the man pages of
> functions in glibc like 'snprintf' and 'malloc'?

Many man pages (including 'snprintf' and 'malloc') come with 'man-pages'
package.

--
Alex

* Re: Manual pages for glibc.
@ 2017-08-09 20:23   ` Roel Janssen
From: Roel Janssen @ 2017-08-09 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Kost; +Cc: help-guix@gnu.org

Alex Kost writes:

> Roel Janssen (2017-08-09 10:49 +0200) wrote:
>
>> Dear Guix,
>>
>> Which package do I need to install to be able to read the man pages of
>> functions in glibc like 'snprintf' and 'malloc'?
>
> Many man pages (including 'snprintf' and 'malloc') come with 'man-pages'
> package.

Thanks!  That's what I was looking for!

Kind regards,
Roel Janssen

* Re: Manual pages for glibc.
@ 2017-08-12 21:02   ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2017-08-12 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: help-guix@gnu.org

Hi Ricardo,

>> Which package do I need to install to be able to read the man pages of
>> functions in glibc like 'snprintf' and 'malloc'?
>>
>> I installed glibc, but that does not seem to provide the man pages.
>
> Here’s what I did:
>
>     unionfs $(printf "%s:" /gnu/store/*/share/info) ~/tmp/info
>
> This gives me a union of all the beautiful info manuals in the store.
> To read the GNU libc’s info manual I do this in Emacs:
>
>    C-u C-h i ~/tmp/info/libc.info.gz RET

This awkward solution should not be needed.  I simply installed
'gcc-toolchain' in my user profile and access the info manuals in Emacs
using C-h i.  Does that not work for you?

     Mark

* Re: Manual pages for glibc.
@ 2017-08-12 21:09     ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2017-08-12 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H Weaver; +Cc: help-guix@gnu.org

Mark H Weaver <mhw@netris.org> writes:

> Hi Ricardo,
>
> Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> writes:
>
>>> Which package do I need to install to be able to read the man pages of
>>> functions in glibc like 'snprintf' and 'malloc'?
>>>
>>> I installed glibc, but that does not seem to provide the man pages.
>>
>> Here’s what I did:
>>
>>     unionfs $(printf "%s:" /gnu/store/*/share/info) ~/tmp/info
>>
>> This gives me a union of all the beautiful info manuals in the store.
>> To read the GNU libc’s info manual I do this in Emacs:
>>
>>    C-u C-h i ~/tmp/info/libc.info.gz RET
>
> This awkward solution should not be needed.  I simply installed
> 'gcc-toolchain' in my user profile and access the info manuals in Emacs
> using C-h i.  Does that not work for you?

It’s not a solution in response to wanting to access libc; I did this
because I wanted to have access to all info manuals, regardless of
whether I have the packages in my profile or not.   I just like browsing
them.