all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Outdated po files
@ 2019-09-23 14:19 Konrad Hinsen
From: Konrad Hinsen @ 2019-09-23 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi Guix,

My attempt to compile the current state of the master branch ended
rapidly with a long string of error messages like this one:

    PO4A doc/contributing.de.texi
  Your input po file po/doc/guix-manual.de.po seems outdated (The amount of entries differ between files: 7994 is not 228
  ). Please consider running po4a-updatepo to refresh it.
    POXREF doc/contributing.de.texi
  mv "doc/contributing.de.texi.tmp" "doc/contributing.de.texi"
    PO4A doc/guix.de.texi

For my current purposes, I don't need translations of the
documentation. Is there a way to tell the installation procedure to go
on in spite of these errors (which I have no idea how to fix)?

Cheers,
  Konrad

* Re: Outdated po files
@ 2019-09-23 15:15 ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2019-09-23 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix, Konrad Hinsen

Le 23 septembre 2019 16:19:54 GMT+02:00, Konrad Hinsen <konrad.hinsen@fastmail.net> a écrit :
>Hi Guix,
>
>My attempt to compile the current state of the master branch ended
>rapidly with a long string of error messages like this one:
>
>    PO4A doc/contributing.de.texi
>Your input po file po/doc/guix-manual.de.po seems outdated (The amount
>of entries differ between files: 7994 is not 228
>  ). Please consider running po4a-updatepo to refresh it.
>    POXREF doc/contributing.de.texi
>  mv "doc/contributing.de.texi.tmp" "doc/contributing.de.texi"
>    PO4A doc/guix.de.texi
>
>For my current purposes, I don't need translations of the
>documentation. Is there a way to tell the installation procedure to go
>on in spite of these errors (which I have no idea how to fix)?
>
>Cheers,
>  Konrad

Hi,

This is not an error, but rather a warning. They are expected because their is one po file for two texinfo files, they cannot have the same number of entries. So the message is harmless, but I can't find an option to hide it specifically.

* Re: Outdated po files
@ 2019-09-23 17:46   ` Konrad Hinsen
From: Konrad Hinsen @ 2019-09-23 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller, help-guix

Hi Julien,

> This is not an error, but rather a warning. They are expected because
> their is one po file for two texinfo files, they cannot have the same
> number of entries. So the message is harmless, but I can't find an
> option to hide it specifically.

Ah, thanks. I thought the po file problem was the reason for the error
that follows, but from your explanation it looks like this is just a
coincidence. However, it does look as if the error is related
to po files in some way:

   rm -f en@boldquot.gmo && /gnu/store/6z2rl8vrbcghvwcjdcf740b8l2cgx25a-profile/bin/msgfmt -c --statistics --verbose -o en@boldquot.gmo en@boldquot.po
   en@boldquot.po:2848: format specifications in 'msgstr[0]' are not a subset of those in 'msgid_plural'
   en@boldquot.po:2855: format specifications in 'msgstr[0]' are not a subset of those in 'msgid_plural'
   /gnu/store/6z2rl8vrbcghvwcjdcf740b8l2cgx25a-profile/bin/msgfmt: found 2 fatal errors
   en@boldquot.po: 915 translated messages.
   make[3]: *** [Makefile:201: en@boldquot.gmo] Error 1
   make[3]: Leaving directory '/home/hinsen/guix-from-source/guix/po/guix'
   make[2]: *** [Makefile:238: stamp-po] Error 2
   make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/hinsen/guix-from-source/guix/po/guix'
   make[1]: *** [Makefile:4865: check-recursive] Error 1
   make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/hinsen/guix-from-source/guix'

Cheers,
  Konrad

* Re: Outdated po files
@ 2019-09-24  9:03     ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2019-09-24  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konrad Hinsen, help-guix

Le 23 septembre 2019 19:46:26 GMT+02:00, Konrad Hinsen <konrad.hinsen@fastmail.net> a écrit :
>Hi Julien,
>
>> This is not an error, but rather a warning. They are expected because
>> their is one po file for two texinfo files, they cannot have the same
>> number of entries. So the message is harmless, but I can't find an
>> option to hide it specifically.
>
>Ah, thanks. I thought the po file problem was the reason for the error
>that follows, but from your explanation it looks like this is just a
>coincidence. However, it does look as if the error is related
>to po files in some way:
>
>rm -f en@boldquot.gmo &&
>/gnu/store/6z2rl8vrbcghvwcjdcf740b8l2cgx25a-profile/bin/msgfmt -c
>--statistics --verbose -o en@boldquot.gmo en@boldquot.po
>en@boldquot.po:2848: format specifications in 'msgstr[0]' are not a
>subset of those in 'msgid_plural'
>en@boldquot.po:2855: format specifications in 'msgstr[0]' are not a
>subset of those in 'msgid_plural'
>/gnu/store/6z2rl8vrbcghvwcjdcf740b8l2cgx25a-profile/bin/msgfmt: found 2
>fatal errors
>   en@boldquot.po: 915 translated messages.
>   make[3]: *** [Makefile:201: en@boldquot.gmo] Error 1
>make[3]: Leaving directory '/home/hinsen/guix-from-source/guix/po/guix'
>   make[2]: *** [Makefile:238: stamp-po] Error 2
>make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/hinsen/guix-from-source/guix/po/guix'
>   make[1]: *** [Makefile:4865: check-recursive] Error 1
>   make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/hinsen/guix-from-source/guix'
>
>Cheers,
>  Konrad

I'm not sure what the issue is here. I've seen that before when I tried to add a file to the list of translated sources, but it had an incorrect plural form. Gettext thought there was a different number of placeholders, but actually one of them is not a placeholder.

* Re: Outdated po files
@ 2019-09-25  6:56       ` Konrad Hinsen
From: Konrad Hinsen @ 2019-09-25  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller, help-guix

Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> writes:

> I'm not sure what the issue is here. I've seen that before when I
> tried to add a file to the list of translated sources, but it had an
> incorrect plural form. Gettext thought there was a different number of
> placeholders, but actually one of them is not a placeholder.

There are two bugs filed in relation to this (#37491 and #37505), which
may or may not be the same (I can't say). I hope someone will be able to
figure out what's going wrong!

Konrad.