Hi Guix, attached is a patch that gives us the liberated OpenJDK in the form of IcedTea (version 6). IcedTea 6 is built with GCJ. Unfortunately, it needs Ant, which cannot be built with GCJ, so it depends on a binary bootstrap Ant. There are a couple of issues with this patch set that I'm aware of: * IcedTea 6 is built without JavaScript support as this would require Rhino. * I'm not happy with replacing the unpack phase and I don't like to refer to the OpenJDK source tarball by its full name "openjdk-6-src-b34-20_jan_2015.tar.xz". Is there a way around this? * The test suite has been disabled. I have been able to fix most issues relating to the build environment (mostly hardcoded paths and corrupted PATH variable), but even then many tests fail. One group of tests depends on a shell wrapper around Xvfb, which is currently not part of the xorg-server package. A considerable number of tests fails upstream (see http://builder.classpath.org/icedtea/icedtea6/test/ for logs). * All this patching of tests is really not pretty. I'm not sure if there's a better or more concise way to achieve this. I also don't know which of these steps should better be implemented as snippets. * The patch to openjdk/jdk/src/share/classes/java/util/CurrencyData.properties really should be implemented upstream. * the make check-* targets do not return a non-zero status code upon failure. This doesn't affect us now because tests are disabled anyway, but using (and (zero? ...)) is just wishful thinking. * the synopsis tells us about IcedTea (the build harness), but actually what we get after the build is a liberated OpenJDK. The same problem affects the description, which probably should describe the purpose of OpenJDK instead. I would be happy to receive comments on the above issues (or others that you find with the patch). ~~ Ricardo