all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Validating/repairing guix system install
@ 2024-10-08 21:05 kevinbanjo
From: kevinbanjo @ 2024-10-08 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi everyone

While installing the guix system I had several network errors and now I
have some pretty serious problems, like for instance the networking process
dying and herd status just hanging forever.

Is there a command I can run to validate the whole system and repair it if
it finds any problems?

I've messed up the config.scm such that it doesn't want to load so if like
to just be able to start with a solid foundation with what's supposed to be
there without trying to reinstall (because that would probably just lead to
more network induced errors).

Tia,
-Kevin

* Re: Validating/repairing guix system install
@ 2024-10-10  8:41 ` Steve George
From: Steve George @ 2024-10-10  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kevinbanjo; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Kevin,

The existing system's configuration is in /run/current-system/configuration.scm. Might be worth inspecting this and seeing if there are obvious mistakes.

The installer places a copy of this in /etc/config.scm. This is the one that users normally start by editing. To validate that it's correct the manual suggests that you do this:

  # creates a vm start-ups script
  guix system vm /etc/config.scm

  # start the vm - login root/no-password - check through
  /gnu/store/...run-vm.sh

If you're able to start the VM correctly then you can apply that configuration.

Normally you'd go back a generation to an earlier 'known good' configuration, but it sounds like you don't have one. Maybe also check that your hard drive is OK and that the Store doesn't have problems:

  guix gc --verify=contents

Bits of the manual that may help:

https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/html_node/Getting-Started-with-the-System.html
https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/html_node/Chrooting-into-an-existing-system.html