Hi T G-R, for Your information: Because I can't scan in Guix at the moment, I had to install a second distro called "GNUinOS" I installed also the MATE desktop and hplip and you can see an icon of "HP" Additionally there are icons in the programm menu I made 4 fotos that you can see in case I klick on the icon hp, Kind regards Gottfried Am 13.08.22 um 15:38 schrieb Tobias Geerinckx-Rice: > Hi Gottfried! > > Gottfried 写道: >> "hplip" doesn't appear anywhere, so I can't open it and to choose a >> scanner. > > I probably can't fix your problem, but note that packages don't > necessarily install a command named after them, or an ‘icon’ (as you > mentioned in a previous mail).  Only a tiny fraction of all packages do > both. > > There is no ‘hplip’ command or programme; don't wast time looking for one. > > The hplip package does provide several small tools, none of them named > hplip, of which two look relevant: > > - hp-scan, which throws an error message here because I don't have  a > supported device; > - hp-uiscan, which also throws an error, but it's ~graphical~ (so  it > might be a better tool for you—if it works!) > > There are many other hp-* commands that you can see by typing ‘hp-’ > at a shell prompt. > > However. > > Expect a number of these tools not to work properly.  For example, they > might look for files in the wrong place or try to write to the store, > simply because they've never been tested.  It is quite possible that you > are the first to ever try using them with the intended hardware.  You'll > have to see, and report any errors you get, and *perhaps* we can help > fix them. > > The joys of using a tiny distribution: sometimes you really are the > first person to try something :-) > >> Probably no Guixer has a HP printer/scanner all in one, >> so nobody was able to help me. > > Very possible.  I don't. > >> Or any other problem that hplip doesn't appear in my MATE Desktop. > > See above; I think you're expecting something to happen that won't. > We'd need to add .desktop files for that to happen, but that would > require actually testing the tools to make sure they are useful (IMO). > > Maybe we should have ‘I own XXX hardware’ teams… > > Kind regards, > > T G-R -- () ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail /\ www.asciiribbon.org - against proprietary attachments Why is HTML email a security nightmare? See https://useplaintext.email/ Please avoid sending me MS-Office attachments. See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html