Em 24/09/2018 11:14, Ludovic Courtès escreveu: > Christopher Lemmer Webber skribis: >> - There's also Google's recent work with Magenta/Fuschia. From what >> I've read, architecturally this looks right. I think the reason >> for worry here is the same difficulty the community has had to >> build actual community and libre distributions on top of the >> Android ecosystem could apply here. > > Indeed. > > We could also mention MINIX, which many of us are already using daily. > :-) > > Putting aside Fuschia, I think the Hurd and MINIX are by far the > solutions that require the less work to be in a state where people with > “regular needs” like the rest of us to switch (MINIX is probably in that > state already.) > > The Hurd already has a very advanced POSIX C library, which is not > negligible, especially compared to the other OSes. Much progress has > been made in recent years wrt. drivers (using the Rump kernel in > particular.) There are of course serious shortcomings, in particular > lack of 64-bit and SMP support. But fixing these is relatively “little > work” in the grand scheme of things. > > To put this in perspective, consider Linux namespaces: they have already > seen years of evolution, and the story of user namespaces shows that > it’s far from complete. I don't know if what I'll say will be off-topic here given that this list is about Guix development, not on general free/libre software activism, but please forgive me anyways. So, my worry is that if we somehow were to support Fuchsia and if it were to be not strong auto-upgradable copyleft with community-oriented enforcement, then we could actually loose the freedoms of the software for the end user. This thought was initially presented by Eben Moglen during one of his talks[1], but I just tried to bring the issue to Guix. [1] https://media.libreplanet.org/u/libreplanet/m/the-free-software-movement-in-the-age-of-trump/