all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#52073: remove Google support from GVFS?
@ 2021-11-24  5:00 raingloom
From: raingloom @ 2021-11-24  5:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 52073

I'd love to say it's because I want the package to be more in line with
libre software guidelines, but honestly I just don't want WebKitGTK as
a transitive input. A few weeks ago I had to remove GVFS from my system
because WebKitGTK was failing to build.

Then again if I had to connect to Google Drive or Picasa or whatever
I'd rather do it through libre software, so maybe it should stay.

Too bad we still don't have package options.

So, what do yall think, should I just create a custom package on my own
channel that disables all that junk, or is this something everyone
wants?

ps.: if any GVFS devs are reading this, the bug that caused me to
almost delete my entire file system is still unaddressed. :)
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gvfs/-/issues/202
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gvfs/-/issues/364

* bug#52073: remove Google support from GVFS?
@ 2021-11-24 17:33 ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2021-11-24 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raingloom; +Cc: 52073

On Wed, Nov 24, 2021 at 06:00:15AM +0100, raingloom wrote:
> I'd love to say it's because I want the package to be more in line with
> libre software guidelines, but honestly I just don't want WebKitGTK as
> a transitive input. A few weeks ago I had to remove GVFS from my system
> because WebKitGTK was failing to build.

Can you explain the connection between libre software guidelines (FSDG),
GVFS, and WebKitGTK?

If the problem was simply that the WebKitGTK package was broken for a
few days, I'm sorry, that was my mistake.

> Then again if I had to connect to Google Drive or Picasa or whatever
> I'd rather do it through libre software, so maybe it should stay.

GNU's position is that services are not "free" or "nonfree" in the way
that software is. So, it shouldn't be a problem that Guix packages can
use 3rd party services.

https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/network-services-arent-free-or-nonfree.en.html

* bug#52073: remove Google support from GVFS?
@ 2021-11-24 19:38   ` Liliana Marie Prikler
From: Liliana Marie Prikler @ 2021-11-24 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari, raingloom; +Cc: 52073

Am Mittwoch, den 24.11.2021, 12:33 -0500 schrieb Leo Famulari:
> On Wed, Nov 24, 2021 at 06:00:15AM +0100, raingloom wrote:
> > I'd love to say it's because I want the package to be more in line
> > with libre software guidelines, but honestly I just don't want
> > WebKitGTK as a transitive input. A few weeks ago I had to remove
> > GVFS from my system because WebKitGTK was failing to build.
>
> Can you explain the connection between libre software guidelines
> (FSDG), GVFS, and WebKitGTK?
>
> If the problem was simply that the WebKitGTK package was broken for a
> few days, I'm sorry, that was my mistake.
Note that WebkitGTK is still broken on i686 (bug#51863).  I could take
some time out of my weekend to fix the issues I raised w.r.t. that
patch or we could apply it as-is (though note that hasty as-is
applications have not worked out too well for us in the recent past).
I'm not sure whether raingloom is on i686 or x86_64, just wanted to
point that out.

Cheers