all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: bo0od <bo0od@riseup.net>
To: Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name>
Cc: 47633@debbugs.gnu.org
Subject: bug#47633: Provide direct download to .iso
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2021 21:31:16 +0000	[thread overview]

 > The reason is to save bandwidth.

For the user or for the website? If its for the website i dont see 200MB
(difference between .iso and .xz) is making a big deal different, And if
the complain real about that in Megabytes then there shouldnt be a
direct download to the image not .xz nor as .iso it should be only used
with torrents (or any similar protocol).

ArchLinux doing that:

https://archlinux.org/download/

But providing direct download to the image over https i dont see its
justified to say it saves bandwidth by compressing it.(unmentioned/very
minimal saving)

To save bandwidth as well by providing https is by using mirrors. (i
think there are too many out there)

But if its for the user, Then i dont see any complains from users over
downloading multiple GBs of NixOS or debian or qubes or...etc

 > 1) Host the uncompressed ISO yourself and send that link to your host
 > provider

So the alternative solution is harder than fixing the original problem?

When i report an issue that doesnt mean i dont know how to fix it or i
cant find alternative solutions, Its not about me but its about the user
specially new users, so i dont know how new user who paid 5 dollar for
outside host provider to test Guix or using it, to go and host .iso
image for guix.

You know whats the alternative easier solution for that user: he go and
install NixOS or X OS and hes happy with that because it saves time and
money and effort.

 > 2) Ask the host provider to download and uncompress the ISO on their
 > own. They should be able to do this because they will have to store the
 > ISO file on their servers anyways.

Thats really too much to ask because there are more than one form of
compression and to do that for 1 or 2 users who want to use this x
distro which doesnt use the traditional way and not from the famous
distros (like debian or fedora) i can assure this is not gonna happen
(at least anytime soon).

Leo Famulari: