all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Allow disabling of CONFIG_SHELL in the configure phase
@ 2016-09-12  6:48 Arun Isaac
From: Arun Isaac @ 2016-09-12  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

I am packaging optipng (http://optipng.sourceforge.net/) with the
gnu-build-system, and its configure script does not like being passed
CONFIG_SHELL. It fails with the following error:

./configure: error: unknown option: CONFIG_SHELL=/gnu/store/ykzwykkvr2c80rw4l1qh3mvfdkl7jibi-bash-4.3.42/bin/bash

Can we allow disabling of CONFIG_SHELL by passing some keyword argument
to the configure phase? Right now, the CONFIG_SHELL argument is always
passed to ./configure, and the only way to get around this is to replace
the configure phase for the optipng package with a specialized function
that does not pass CONFIG_SHELL. That seems like too much work, and it
will be nice if we can just disable CONFIG_SHELL with a keyword argument.

Regards,
Arun Isaac.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Allow disabling of CONFIG_SHELL in the configure phase
@ 2016-09-13 12:07 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-09-13 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arun Isaac; +Cc: guix-devel

Arun Isaac <arunisaac@systemreboot.net> skribis:

> I am packaging optipng (http://optipng.sourceforge.net/) with the
> gnu-build-system, and its configure script does not like being passed
> CONFIG_SHELL. It fails with the following error:
>
> ./configure: error: unknown option: CONFIG_SHELL=/gnu/store/ykzwykkvr2c80rw4l1qh3mvfdkl7jibi-bash-4.3.42/bin/bash
>
> Can we allow disabling of CONFIG_SHELL by passing some keyword argument
> to the configure phase? Right now, the CONFIG_SHELL argument is always
> passed to ./configure, and the only way to get around this is to replace
> the configure phase for the optipng package with a specialized function
> that does not pass CONFIG_SHELL. That seems like too much work, and it
> will be nice if we can just disable CONFIG_SHELL with a keyword argument.

I find that it’s not that much work to replace the ‘configure’ phase,
and it’s not too common (Autoconf-generated ‘configure’ scripts all
honor CONFIG_SHELL.)

We could add a Boolean flag for CONFIG_SHELL, but I bet manually written
‘configure’ scripts may need more than just that anyway, so I’m not sure
it would buy us much.

WDYT?

Ludo’.

* Re: Allow disabling of CONFIG_SHELL in the configure phase
@ 2016-09-13 13:49   ` Arun Isaac
From: Arun Isaac @ 2016-09-13 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel