all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Doubt regarding waiting for substitutes
@ 2019-09-26  7:23 Raghav Gururajan
From: Raghav Gururajan @ 2019-09-26  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello Guix!

After `guix pull`, I usually run `guix upgrade --dry-run` to check
which derivations will be built. If I find heavy ones like icecat,
evolution, calibre, kodi, qtwebkit etc., what is the general rule of
thumb waiting period for the substitutes to be available for those
packages, before I re-run `guix upgrade`? Assuming I will not be doing
another `guix pull` during the waiting.

Thank you!

Regards,
RG.

* Re: Doubt regarding waiting for substitutes
@ 2019-09-29 23:15 ` sirmacik
From: sirmacik @ 2019-09-29 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raghav Gururajan; +Cc: help-guix

Raghav Gururajan <raghavgururajan@disroot.org> writes:

> Hello Guix!
>
> After `guix pull`, I usually run `guix upgrade --dry-run` to check
> which derivations will be built. If I find heavy ones like icecat,
> evolution, calibre, kodi, qtwebkit etc., what is the general rule of
> thumb waiting period for the substitutes to be available for those
> packages, before I re-run `guix upgrade`? Assuming I will not be doing
> another `guix pull` during the waiting.

Hey Guix!

I'd like to bump the question. New packages  like icecat and
ungoogled-chromium take sometimes really long time to come up.

Trying to compile those has even made fan in my laptop creak. (;

--
Cheers,
sirmacik

* Re: Doubt regarding waiting for substitutes
@ 2019-09-30  8:57   ` L p R n d n
From: L p R n d n @ 2019-09-30  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sirmacik; +Cc: Raghav Gururajan, help-guix

Hello,

sirmacik <sirmacik@wioo.waw.pl> writes:

> Raghav Gururajan <raghavgururajan@disroot.org> writes:
>
>> Hello Guix!
>>
>> After `guix pull`, I usually run `guix upgrade --dry-run` to check
>> which derivations will be built. If I find heavy ones like icecat,
>> evolution, calibre, kodi, qtwebkit etc., what is the general rule of
>> thumb waiting period for the substitutes to be available for those
>> packages, before I re-run `guix upgrade`? Assuming I will not be doing
>> another `guix pull` during the waiting.
>
> Hey Guix!
>
> I'd like to bump the question. New packages  like icecat and
> ungoogled-chromium take sometimes really long time to come up.
>
> Trying to compile those has even made fan in my laptop creak. (;

Not a rule of thumb or anything, just sharing my way.
As I don't need any specific update or commits I usually use just `guix pull
commit=...` to update and pick a commit from around 24h ago. Unless
there has been significant changes I end up building very few packages
if any at all. (not using ungoogled-chromium)

> --
> Cheers,
> sirmacik
> PGP: 0xE0DC81D523891771