Ludovic Courtès schreef op za 05-03-2022 om 23:03 [+0100]: > I don’t know if it’s supposed to happen.  It’s defensive programming: > better keep going than crash if the server starts behaving slightly > differently. That's called total programming I think? From a OOP I'm following: * total: handle all cases without complaints (no throwing exceptions or such), assign every case a well-defined (and documented!) behaviour * nominal: document the preconditions, but don't bother checking them * defensive: check inputs, if they are wrong, throw an exception (it was probably formulated a bit differently but that was the gist of it) At least according to this classification, this 'update-rate-limit-reset-time!' would be total (except for the lack of documentation), not defensive. Greetings, Maxime.