all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Bug? Haskell GHC wont' work since ghc@8.6?
@ 2021-01-11  6:18 John Soo
From: John Soo @ 2021-01-11  6:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yasu; +Cc: Bug Guix, Help Guix

Hi yasu,

This question comes up on the mailing list every so often, but I don’t think it is a bug. I want to be able to choose the c toolchain ghc uses myself. I would rather introduce some Haskell specific documentation.

We discussed during the guix day that we would love to have some language specific setup documentation. I had issues like this in mind.

- John

[-- Attachment #2: face-smile.png --]
[-- Type: image/PNG, Size: 871 bytes --]

* bug#45778: Mistaken issue report
@ 2021-01-11  6:20 ` John Soo
From: John Soo @ 2021-01-11  6:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 45778-Done

* bug#45778: Bug? Haskell GHC wont' work since ghc@8.6?
@ 2021-01-11  6:31 ` yasu
From: yasu @ 2021-01-11  6:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Soo; +Cc: help-guix, 45778

Hi John,

Oh, I see!  I wonder if it possible to have a more convinient

haskell-for-a-casual-developer like package or:

parameterize the command itself, say:
guix install ghc -option1=blah, -option2=blah,
and provide default options as well?

In the very least, a warning message explaining this after:
guix install ghc

Might do.

Lots of ideas :-)

Cheers,
yasu

* Re: Bug? Haskell GHC wont' work since ghc@8.6?
@ 2021-01-11 14:54 ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2021-01-11 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Soo, yasu; +Cc: Help Guix, Bug Guix

Hi John,

On Sun, 10 Jan 2021 at 22:18, John Soo <jsoo1@asu.edu> wrote:

> This question comes up on the mailing list every so often, but I don’t
> think it is a bug. I want to be able to choose the c toolchain ghc
> uses myself. I would rather introduce some Haskell specific
> documentation.

Choosing the C toolchain and propagating one are not really related.  I
mean, one C toolchain could be propagated by default, so then GHC works
out-of-the-box.  And the build transformation ’--with-c-toolchain’
should provide the flexibility to use any other C toolchain variant you
want.  Is it not working as expected?

All the best,
simon

* Re: Bug? Haskell GHC wont' work since ghc@8.6?
@ 2021-01-11 15:14   ` John Soo
From: John Soo @ 2021-01-11 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun; +Cc: Help Guix, Bug Guix

Hi zimoun,

> Choosing the C toolchain and propagating one are not really related.

Good point.

> I mean, one C toolchain could be propagated by default, so then GHC works
> out-of-the-box.  And the build transformation ’--with-c-toolchain’
> should provide the flexibility to use any other C toolchain variant you
> want.  Is it not working as expected?

As is, ghc does not work after guix install ghc. gcc-toolchain must be
installed alongside it to work.  Maybe the reason for this was to not
propagate particular versions of the gcc-toolchain and possibly conflict
with others.

Thanks!

@ 2021-01-11 18:42     ` Vincent Legoll
From: Vincent Legoll @ 2021-01-11 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Soo; +Cc: Bug Guix, Help Guix

Hello,

should the following issues be merged together ?

45776
45777
45778

--
Vincent Legoll

* Re: Bug? Haskell GHC wont' work since ghc@8.6?
@ 2021-01-11 20:47       ` John Soo
From: John Soo @ 2021-01-11 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vincent Legoll; +Cc: Help Guix

 Some should be closed, and bug-guix should be removed from the thread.