all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Kernel panic
@ 2016-01-25 21:22 Kabelo Moiloa
From: Kabelo Moiloa @ 2016-01-25 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix@gnu.org

I copied the installation image onto my USB flash drive. When I tried to
boot it, I got the following kernel panic.:
kernel panic-not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown block
(0,1).

I tried a different flash drive once, and I was at least able to boot it.
However, that flash drive is not mine, so I can't easily obtain it again.
Further, the Parabola GNU/Linux installation image can mount my USB drive.

Kind Regards,
Kabelo

* Kernel Panic
@ 2019-10-24 10:31 Raghav Gururajan
From: Raghav Gururajan @ 2019-10-24 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello Guix!

Whenever I shutdown my system, I end up with kernel panic, 50% of the
time.

I was wondering whether guix uses LTS releases of linux-libre or not?

Or is there any other way to prevent these kernel panic?

Thank you!

Regards,
RG.

* Re: Kernel Panic
@ 2019-10-24 18:15 ` Marius Bakke
From: Marius Bakke @ 2019-10-24 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raghav Gururajan, help-guix

Raghav Gururajan <raghavgururajan@disroot.org> writes:

> Whenever I shutdown my system, I end up with kernel panic, 50% of the
> time.

Can you post a picture or transcript of the kernel panic?  Please also
include your system configuration and some information about the
hardware you are using (i.e. laptop model).

> I was wondering whether guix uses LTS releases of linux-libre or not?

The default kernel in Guix is the latest and greatest, but you can
choose to use one of the LTS releases that are available (4.4, 4.9, 4.14
or 4.19) by adjusting the 'kernel' field of your system configuration.

> Or is there any other way to prevent these kernel panic?

Try pulling the power instead of shutting down...  :-P

(on a more serious note, it could be interesting to see if holding
AltGr+SysRq and typing 'reisub' also triggers this problem, and at which
letter).

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Kernel Panic
@ 2019-10-25  7:22   ` Raghav Gururajan