all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Semi-automated patch review
@ 2021-04-05 21:52 Léo Le Bouter
From: Léo Le Bouter @ 2021-04-05 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel; +Cc: Christopher Baines

Hello!

Cbaines already runs automated patch testing infra at
https://data.guix-patches.cbaines.net/ and
https://patches.guix-patches.cbaines.net/project/guix-patches/list/

Considering that posting robot messages with test/lint/+ result
information on the issues directly and on the ML might get spammy, I
suggest that Cbaines could setup something that sends off-list to all
the participants or just the poster of the patch being tested, as well
as another list like guix-ci-bot@cbaines.net that reviewers could
voluntarily subscribe to to receive all those off-list messages.

Another suggestion is that the infrastructure by Cbaines could include
an easy way to lookup CI information from a bug id and that a link to
see such CI information could be linked to from Mumi's
(issues.gnu.guix.org) UI. But I also really think that mailing the
contributors privately is very important so they can get automated
feedback and save us time without any additional setup or knowledge
required.

What do you think?

I think it's really important that we move forward on this topic where
honestly lots of things have been achieved especially by Cbaines but
with poor visibility so no actual usage to aid the review process when
we would crucially need such help.

Thank you!

Léo

* Re: Semi-automated patch review
@ 2021-04-06  7:43 ` Christopher Baines
From: Christopher Baines @ 2021-04-06  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Léo Le Bouter; +Cc: guix-devel

Léo Le Bouter <lle-bout@zaclys.net> writes:

> Cbaines already runs automated patch testing infra at
> https://data.guix-patches.cbaines.net/ and
> https://patches.guix-patches.cbaines.net/project/guix-patches/list/
>
> Considering that posting robot messages with test/lint/+ result
> information on the issues directly and on the ML might get spammy, I
> suggest that Cbaines could setup something that sends off-list to all
> the participants or just the poster of the patch being tested, as well
> as another list like guix-ci-bot@cbaines.net that reviewers could
> voluntarily subscribe to to receive all those off-list messages.
>
> Another suggestion is that the infrastructure by Cbaines could include
> an easy way to lookup CI information from a bug id and that a link to
> see such CI information could be linked to from Mumi's
> (issues.gnu.guix.org) UI. But I also really think that mailing the
> contributors privately is very important so they can get automated
> feedback and save us time without any additional setup or knowledge
> required.
>
> What do you think?

So a technical component that I have in mind for this is supporting
subscriptions to data in the Guix Data Service, and that's something
that I'm hoping to at least start implementing in the coming weeks.

Once that's a possibility for the data relevant to patch series, I think
it will be feasible to look at having more useful "checks" in Patchwork
(e.g. broken builds, new lint warnings, ...) and perhaps sending emails
to the bug to set out that information.

There's also other related work still going on, I'm hoping to merge the
Laminar package and service soon [1] which I'm currently using for this
patch testing setup, and the upcoming Outreachy project on improving the
Guix Data Service performance will greatly benefit using the Guix Data
Service for patch review.

1: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/47392

Thanks,

Chris

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Semi-automated patch review
@ 2021-04-07 15:00 ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2021-04-07 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Léo Le Bouter; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello,

Am Mon, Apr 05, 2021 at 11:52:53PM +0200 schrieb Léo Le Bouter:
> Cbaines already runs automated patch testing infra at
> https://data.guix-patches.cbaines.net/ and
> https://patches.guix-patches.cbaines.net/project/guix-patches/list/
>
> Considering that posting robot messages with test/lint/+ result
> information on the issues directly and on the ML might get spammy

posting messages to the issues looks like a feasible and good thing to me,
then all relevant information would be present in the same place.

Andreas

* Re: Semi-automated patch review
@ 2021-04-07 15:48   ` Vincent Legoll
From: Vincent Legoll @ 2021-04-07 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello,

On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 5:03 PM Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> wrote:
> posting messages to the issues looks like a feasible and good thing to me,
> then all relevant information would be present in the same place.

Yes, +1 to that

--
Vincent Legoll

* Re: Semi-automated patch review
@ 2021-04-09 11:27   ` Léo Le Bouter
From: Léo Le Bouter @ 2021-04-09 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: guix-devel, Christopher Baines

On Wed, 2021-04-07 at 17:00 +0200, Andreas Enge wrote:
> posting messages to the issues looks like a feasible and good thing
> to me,
> then all relevant information would be present in the same place.

I also think that's what should be done but it seems there are worries
that this may cause people to unsubscribe considering the already
existing flood of information in the guix-patches list.

* Re: Semi-automated patch review
@ 2021-04-09 18:07     ` Vincent Legoll
From: Vincent Legoll @ 2021-04-09 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Léo Le Bouter; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello,

On Fri, Apr 9, 2021 at 1:27 PM Léo Le Bouter <lle-bout@zaclys.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 2021-04-07 at 17:00 +0200, Andreas Enge wrote:
> > posting messages to the issues looks like a feasible and good thing
> > to me,
> > then all relevant information would be present in the same place.
>
> I also think that's what should be done but it seems there are worries
> that this may cause people to unsubscribe considering the already
> existing flood of information in the guix-patches list.

I think this was understood as "posting to individual issues" and not to
the guix-patches ML. As in: a followup to "xxxxxx@debbugs.gnu.org"

At least that was what I was +1'ing

--
Vincent Legoll