all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#21566: Bug when moving between system instances
@ 2015-09-26  3:21 goglosh
From: goglosh @ 2015-09-26  3:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 21566

Hello.
I got this unexpected behaviour. I used `guix system reconfigure ...` to
make a new system instance, used it for a while, and later booted back
into the old system. I used diferent names for the user in the first and
second system, let's call them sys1user and sys2user. I booted into the
old system and tried to login as sys1user (the user created with that
system) with it's password and this was no longer possible. root
remained untouched, so I used root to change the password and login as
usual. Done that I discovered I didn't have access to the files of
user1.
I then rebooted back into the new system, only to find the exact same
problem. in /home/sys2user all files belonged to some user called 30011.
I could of course change permissions for most of them using sudo, all
but the all-important ~/.guix-profile. Since it's a symlink to a
read-only filesystem, this was impossible.
Thanks for listening, and, sorry about the non-technical bug report.