On 02-08-2022 09:59, Ludovic Courtès wrote: >>> + (if (module-defined? (resolve-interface '(gnutls)) >>> + 'set-session-record-port-close!) ;GnuTLS >= 3.7.7 >> resolve-module (and presumably also sets #:ensure #t by default, which >> sometimes causes 'module not found' messages to be replaced by >> 'unbound variable', which I don't think is useful behaviour, can >> #:ensure be set to #false? > This is unnecessary: see the ‘load-gnutls’ mechanism there. The idiom > above is already used in a couple of places. I have looked at the 'load-gnutls' procedure, but I do not see how it avoids the issue I mentioned (*). I have also seen this idiom (resolve-interface and friends with #:ensure #t) before, in other places, but that doesn't make the idiom correct -- in fact, _because_ I've seen the idiom elsewhere causing problems, I recommend avoiding the same mistake here (and preferably also eliminating it elsewhere). More generally, the second sentence is a logical fallacy, a variant of "ad populum" -- the prevalency of a mistake does not make it correct and does not invalidate evidence of it being a mistake. To be clear, I am not referring to the existence/absence of compilation errors when compiling the Guix package without gnutls in the build environment, but to the confusing _contents_ of the error message and the odd semantics of #:ensure #t, and not only at compilation time but also at runtime. (*) The autoloading of gnutls in load-gnutls avoids compilation errors when gnutls is absent, but by the way it does it, it causes the module to be registered as 'it exists' even when it doesn't, so the information in the module system of Guix becomes incorrect. Greetings, Maxime.