Thanks for your reply. On Fri, 30 Apr 2021, Efraim Flashner wrote: > On Fri, Apr 30, 2021 at 01:03:23AM -0400, Jack Hill wrote: >> Greetings Guix, >> >> I'd like to improve the experience of installing Neovim plugins/add-ons with >> Guix. I've submitted #48112 [0] which adds an XDG_DATA_DIRS search path so >> nvim (the Neovim executable name) will be able to find plugins installed by >> guix at …/share/nvim/site. > > I guess my first question is does it work? I think I first tried > something similar for vim with 'share/vim/vimfiles' but it didn't > actually work for vim. Yes, it does work! I tested it with neovim-syntastic and a local neovim-fugitive package both with a guix environment and manually manipulated environment variables. A difference between Neovim and Vim is that Neovim supports XDG_DATA_DIRS (and XDG_CONFIG_DIRS) as real search paths while the environment variables for Vim are single directories (compare `:help runtimepath` in the two editors). >> Currently, we only have one such package, neovim-syntastic. I'd like to add >> more. Many plugins are compatible with both vim and nvim. However, they >> search for plugins at different paths. Therefore, the vim-syntastic and >> neovim-syntastic packages, which use the copy-build-system, differ only in >> the destination directories of the install-plan (and changing "Vim" to >> "Neovim" in the description). >> >> My initial inclination is to remove the duplication of maintaining two >> install-plans (and other arguments) by creating a procedure that would take >> as input a Vim package that uses copy-build-system and output a Neovim >> package with the install-plan re-written. >> >> Perhaps that solution would be overwrought. How would you recommend handling >> this situation? > > My first idea would be to have the one package install the files into > both directories and combine them, but I feel like it falls apart when > it comes to searching for vim/neovim plugins and naming. One package > with two names? Call it vim-neovim-syntastic? > > If vim/neovim move more apart and actually need separate plugins in the > future then I guess it would make more sense to have two actual packages > that can be installed by name (vim-foo and neovim-foo). A combined package is an interesting suggestion. However, I share the concern about searching for packages. Having packages that are compatible with both editors use one naming scheme and ones that are compatible with only one use a different naming scheme seems like a implementation detail that would be better not to expose to me. I drew inspiration for creating the Neovim package variants with a procedure from the package-for-python2 and sbcl-package->ecl-package. Of course those procedures have build system support and aren't depending on a common usage pattern of copy-build-system. Is it time a a vim-build-system? Perhaps not, but I'm still not sure what the right way forward is. Best, Jack