all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Jack Hill <jackhill@jackhill.us>
To: Joshua Branson <jbranso@dismail.de>
Cc: help-guix@gnu.org
Subject: Re: grub.cfg does not have luks module for encrypted root
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2019 10:29:15 -0500 (EST)	[thread overview]

On Fri, 1 Feb 2019, Joshua Branson wrote:

> Jack Hill <jackhill@jackhill.us> writes:
>
>> Ahoy,
>>
>> I'm using the attached config.scm for a host with an encrypted gpt
>> root partition while booking with bios-grub. It produces the attached
>> grub.cfg, which lacks the luks module, thus grub cannot find the
>> kernel.
>>
>> If I enter the grub command line and manually insmod luks and
>> cryptomount, I can then boot correction.
>
> Out of curiosity how do you boot GuixSD on the grub command line?
>
> The only way I know how to do it is:
>
> set root=(hd0,1)  ; wherever your root partition is
> linux /gnu/path/to/vmlinuz-linux-libre root=/dev/sda1
> initrd /gnu/path/to/initramfs-linux-libre.img
> boot
>
> In arch linux, I know where those paths are: /boot, but it GuixSD those
> paths are usually buried in /gnu/some/crazy/path...

Once I ran 'insmod luks' and 'crytomount (hd0,gpt2)', the filesystem
containing the store became available to Grub. I then ran 'configfile
(hd0,gpt1)/boot/grub/grub.cfg' to have Grub reprocess the config file that
Guix wrote for it. Since the store was now available, Grub was able to
load its theme, kernel, and initramfs. Sorry for admitting that step in my
summary.

Best,
Jack