all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Testing 0.8
@ 2014-11-18 20:56 Adam Pribyl
From: Adam Pribyl @ 2014-11-18 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

I am testing the 0.8 Guix release as announced. Installation went pretty
smooth from USB. Noticed network devices are now renamed to "unique"
names. Fine, but one should be careful when starting networking and "eth0"
is missing.

Just tried
guix package -i mc

to test it. Without substitutes this fails after long build at dependency
"perl after 3600 seconds of silent". There is plenty of disk space this
time (200GB) but I am probably still missing something essential to use
guix as source based distro.

From substitutes "mc" installs OK.

Regards

Adam Pribyl

* Re: Testing 0.8
@ 2014-11-18 22:11 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2014-11-18 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Pribyl; +Cc: guix-devel

Adam Pribyl <pribyl@lowlevel.cz> skribis:

> I am testing the 0.8 Guix release as announced. Installation went
> pretty smooth from USB. Noticed network devices are now renamed to
> "unique" names. Fine, but one should be careful when starting
> networking and "eth0" is missing.

Right, we should probably add a note in the manual.

> Just tried
> guix package -i mc
>
> to test it. Without substitutes this fails after long build at
> dependency "perl after 3600 seconds of silent". There is plenty of
> disk space this time (200GB) but I am probably still missing something
> essential to use guix as source based distro.
>
> From substitutes "mc" installs OK.

It sounds that either mc or one of its dependencies deadlocks,
presumably in a non-deterministic fashion.

Can you still see which build failed exactly?  You may be able to find
it out using “bzgrep -r silence /var/log/guix/drvs/”.

Thanks for testing!

Ludo’.

* Re: Testing 0.8
@ 2014-11-19 21:13   ` Adam Pribyl