On 10/14/19 10:11 PM, Paul Smith wrote: > On Mon, 2019-10-14 at 21:32 +0300, Alexander Vdolainen wrote: >>> For example, no aspect of either GNOME or systemd are proprietary, >>> using the common meaning of the term. Also, "lock-in" usually refers >>> to software that prevents users from switching to an alternative; GNOME >>> and systemd are certainly not lock-in. >> >> I'm afraid but I cannot agree with that. Actually with systemd design >> you have 'lock-in', because in some cases you need to modify a source >> code to support systemd (or you will face something like this - >> https://superuser.com/questions/1372963/how-do-i-keep-systemd-from-killing-my-tmux-sessions). > > It's not lock-in because you don't have to use systemd. You can take a > system that currently uses systemd and you can remove it and replace it > with something else. It may be more or less effort, depending, but you > _can_ do it, without violating licenses or losing access to any of your > personal data. Also I _can_ write a new kernel using existing code base... > > If you consider systemd "lock-in" then you *must* consider something > like GNU libc "lock-in"; it's far more difficult to replace your libc > than it is to switch away from systemd! uclibc, musl ... but GNU libc doesn't require software to make some modifications - that's the point. > >> Finally, correct me if I wrong, but GNOME 3.8 and newer requires >> systemd to run, it's a lock-in isn't it ? > > No, because you don't need to run GNOME. You can't consider software > "lock-in" just because it requires some other software, as long as you > don't have to use either one. And you can't consider some software > non-free just because it requires other free software: a large majority > of free programs out there rely on some other free libraries for > example. yep > > Anyway, as I said this thread should be moved to gnu-misc-discuss. ok, let's move it on. > -- Alexander Vdolainen, Evil contractor.