all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* guix system vm, QEMU, virtfs, and the security_model option
@ 2024-05-30 15:15 Fabio Natali
From: Fabio Natali @ 2024-05-30 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi,

A quick question re the 'guix system vm' command. When used in
combination with '--share=/foo=/bar', the command takes advantage of
QEMU's 'virtfs' option to share a folder between the host and the guest.

Interestingly, the command makes use of the 'security_model=none'
option. An alternative, one that I've seen recommended in some QEMU
docs⁰, would be using 'security_model=mapped-xattr'.

Is there any particular reason why we're using 'none' instead of
'mapped-xattr'?  The reason I'm asking is because I'm struggling with
some permission issues on a shared folder and I'd have a vague intuition
(or some hope) that 'mapped-xattr' might be a solution.

Thanks, best wishes, Fabio.

⁰ https://wiki.qemu.org/Documentation/9psetup'

--
Fabio Natali
https://fabionatali.com

* Re: guix system vm, QEMU, virtfs, and the security_model option
@ 2024-06-02  6:55 ` Efraim Flashner
From: Efraim Flashner @ 2024-06-02  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabio Natali; +Cc: help-guix

On Thu, May 30, 2024 at 04:15:33PM +0100, Fabio Natali wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A quick question re the 'guix system vm' command. When used in
> combination with '--share=/foo=/bar', the command takes advantage of
> QEMU's 'virtfs' option to share a folder between the host and the guest.
>
> Interestingly, the command makes use of the 'security_model=none'
> option. An alternative, one that I've seen recommended in some QEMU
> docs⁰, would be using 'security_model=mapped-xattr'.
>
> Is there any particular reason why we're using 'none' instead of
> 'mapped-xattr'?  The reason I'm asking is because I'm struggling with
> some permission issues on a shared folder and I'd have a vague intuition
> (or some hope) that 'mapped-xattr' might be a solution.

It looks like it was set in April 2014, so it may be time to revisit
it and see if changing the security_model works.

--
Efraim Flashner   <efraim@flashner.co.il>   רנשלפ םירפא

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: guix system vm, QEMU, virtfs, and the security_model option
@ 2024-06-02 15:30   ` Brian O'Keefe
From: Brian O'Keefe @ 2024-06-02 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Jumping in here briefly. I had installed Guix Debian Gnu/Hurd as a VM in
QEMU. It work completely fine and I thought that I would keep it for
some tasks. However it gobbled up disk space like crazy and I've since
removed it. The install was simple and no issues.

@ 2024-06-05 12:50   ` Fabio Natali
From: Fabio Natali @ 2024-06-05 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Efraim Flashner; +Cc: help-guix

On 2024-06-02, 09:55 +0300, Efraim Flashner <efraim@flashner.co.il> wrote:
> It looks like it was set in April 2014, so it may be time to revisit
> it and see if changing the security_model works.

Hey Efraim, thanks for getting back to me. Ok, got it, I'll see if I
have time to put together a patch, I'd expect the change in itself not
to be particularly difficult. Thanks, cheers, F.