Thank you both. I'm glad it is not a mistake I did. I would like to fix the GDM bug(s) but right now I do not know scheme nor do I know much about how GDM, X, and Wayland work. I am learning scheme from this book though. https://mitpress.mit.edu/sites/default/files/sicp/index.html On Sun, Dec 16, 2018, at 5:05 AM, Chris Marusich wrote: > Hi Peter and Timothy, > > Timothy Sample writes: > > > [...] If I want to lock and suspend, I use the following rather > > unglamorous command: > > > > $ xlock & (sleep 3; loginctl suspend) > > > > If anyone has any better advice, I would love to hear it! > > I do something similar, but with xscreensaver. I set it up so that my > screen automatically locks after a period of no activity, and also so > that I can manually lock it on demand. Here's how I do it. > > First, in my OS configuration file, I replace all screen lockers in > %desktop-services with a screen locker service that uses xscreensaver: > > (services (cons* > (screen-locker-service xscreensaver) > (remove-screen-lockers %desktop-services))) > > The procedure remove-screen-lockers is a custom procedure I've defined > in my OS config file. Here it is: > > (define (remove-services kind-to-remove) > "Return a procedure that accepts a single argument (a list of > objects) and returns a new list that contains the same > elements, but with the specified kind-to-remove removed." > (lambda (services) > (remove (match-lambda > ((? service? s) > (eq? kind-to-remove (service-kind s)))) > services))) > > (define remove-screen-lockers > (remove-services 'screen-locker)) > > You don't have to remove all the other screen lockers, but I didn't need > them, so I decided to remove them. > > This installs specifically the "xscreensaver" program as a setuid-root > program. This makes it possible to manually start the xscreensaver > program and to configure it (both via the "xscreensaver" program). > > Because I also want to be able to manually lock the screen on demand > (via the separate "xscreensaver-command" program), I also install the > xscreensaver package to my system profile by adding it to the "packages" > field of my OS declaration. You probably don't want to add it to your > user profile, since if you do that, your user profile's "xscreensaver" > program (which is not setuid-root) will take precedence (via the PATH > environment variable) over the setuid-root "xscreensaver" program > installed in /run/setuid-programs. Although it's technically possible > for xscreensaver to function correctly without being setuid root [1], I > haven't figured out how to do it on GuixSD at this time. > > Once the xscreensaver package is installed, I create an alias in my > ~/.bashrc that enables me to lock the screen on demand after > xscreensaver has been started. > > alias lk='xscreensaver-command -activate' > > Finally, to start xscreensaver automatically when I log into a desktop > session, I create an autostart file [2] named > ~/.config/autostart/xscreensaver.desktop with the following contents: > > [Desktop Entry] > Version=1.0 > Type=Application > Name=XScreenSaver > Comment=Launch XScreenSaver > Exec=xscreensaver -nosplash > StartupNotify=false > Terminal=false > Hidden=false > > Reconfigure your system and reboot to verify that it still boots. To > lock the screen while logged into GNOME or similar, just open a terminal > (e.g., GNOME Terminal) and run lk. You can also configure xscreensaver > by running xscreensaver-prefs. From there, you can configure > xscreenlocker to lock the screen after a certain period of idle time. > > Anyway, I hope that helps! > > Footnotes: > [1] https://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/faq.html#setuid > > [2] https://specifications.freedesktop.org/autostart-spec/0.5/ > > -- > Chris >