all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#53250: icedove clears user data on upgrade
@ 2022-01-14 11:47 Nicholas von Klitzing via Bug reports for GNU Guix
From: Nicholas von Klitzing via Bug reports for GNU Guix @ 2022-01-14 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 53250

Hello Guix,

Every time I upgrade icedove (via guix pull && guix system reconfigure), all of my user data is cleared from icedove.

All of my mail settings, accounts, etc. are just gone and I need to manually set them all up again.

When I check ~/.icedove, my profile and settings are still there after the upgrades, but they're not loaded by icedove.

```
nicholas@guix14 ~$ ls .icedove/
dz83arz0.default/  profiles.ini
nicholas@guix14 ~$ cat .icedove/profiles.ini
[Profile0]
Name=default
IsRelative=1
Path=dz83arz0.default
Default=1

[General]
StartWithLastProfile=1
Version=2
```

Kind regards,
Nicholas

* bug#53250: icedove clears data
@ 2022-01-14 12:02 ` Nicholas von Klitzing via Bug reports for GNU Guix
From: Nicholas von Klitzing via Bug reports for GNU Guix @ 2022-01-14 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 53250

A brief follow up:

It seems the ~/.icedove folder is not used by icedove (it was probably a relic of when I used icedove-wayland).

Now looking into ~./thunderbird instead I see several more profiles.

```
nicholas@guix14 ~/.thunderbird$ ls
bv7r86h9.default/            installs.ini               profiles.ini
gdmykixq.default-default-1/  k6sjw3jm.default-default/
nicholas@guix14 ~/.thunderbird$ cat profiles.ini
[Profile2]
Name=default-default-1
IsRelative=1
Path=gdmykixq.default-default-1

[Profile1]
Name=default
IsRelative=1
Path=bv7r86h9.default
Default=1

[Profile0]
Name=default-default
IsRelative=1
Path=k6sjw3jm.default-default

[Install281FC43567D8867D]
Default=gdmykixq.default-default-1
Locked=1

[General]
StartWithLastProfile=1
Version=2

[Install3F4F07DFB18472B1]
Default=k6sjw3jm.default-default
Locked=1
```

Launching icedove with `icedove -p` and then iterating through the 3 listed profiles all leads to a blank profile, except for default-default. The default-default profile contains all of my mail account and settings.

I now set default-default to be my main profile (resolving my issue) but I doubt this is what users expect the software to do.

Is it possible that icedove creates a new profile on upgrades and sets it as default? I definitely did not manually create 3 profiles.

@ 2022-01-14 14:52   ` Maxime Devos
From: Maxime Devos @ 2022-01-14 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicholas von Klitzing, 53250

Nicholas von Klitzing via Bug reports for GNU Guix schreef op vr 14-01-
2022 om 12:02 [+0000]:
> A brief follow up:
>
> It seems the ~/.icedove folder is not used by icedove (it was probably a relic of when I used icedove-wayland).
>
> Now looking into ~./thunderbird instead I see several more profiles.
>
> ```
> nicholas@guix14 ~/.thunderbird$ ls
> bv7r86h9.default/            installs.ini               profiles.ini
> gdmykixq.default-default-1/  k6sjw3jm.default-default/
> nicholas@guix14 ~/.thunderbird$ cat profiles.ini
> [Profile2]
> [...]
> [Profile1]
> [...]
> [Profile0]
> [...]
> [Install281FC43567D8867D]
> [General]
> [...]
> [Install3F4F07DFB18472B1]
> [...]
> ```
>
> Launching icedove with `icedove -p` and then iterating through the 3 listed profiles all leads to a blank profile, except for default-default. The default-default profile contains all of my mail account and settings.
>
> I now set default-default to be my main profile (resolving my issue) but I doubt this is what users expect the software to do.
>
> Is it possible that icedove creates a new profile on upgrades and sets it as default? I definitely did not manually create 3 profiles.

Maybe take a look at the following code in 'icedove':

         ;; Fixes issue where each installation directory generates its
own profile.
         ;; See e.g.
         (add-after 'patch-source-shebangs 'fix-profile-setting
           (lambda _
             (substitute* "comm/mail/moz.configure"
               (("MOZ_DEDICATED_PROFILES, True")
                "MOZ_DEDICATED_PROFILES, False"))
             #t))

Seems like this was fixed at some point but the fix broke?

Greetings,
Maxime.

* bug#53250: icedove clears user data on upgrade
@ 2022-01-14 15:25   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2022-01-14 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicholas von Klitzing; +Cc: 53250

Hi,

Nicholas von Klitzing <nicholas@nvk.pm> skribis:

> It seems the ~/.icedove folder is not used by icedove (it was probably a relic of when I used icedove-wayland).
>
> Now looking into ~./thunderbird instead I see several more profiles.

Indeed; when running ‘guix pull’, you might have seen this entry:

  Icedove 91: profile folder moved to @file{~/.thunderbird}

  Icedove 91 expects your profile folder under @file{~/.thunderbird}.
  You need to manually copy your Icedove profiles from @file{~/.icedove} to
  @file{~./thunderbird}.  It may be required to start Icedove with