Andreas, Leo, Thanks for the feedback! On 27/11/16 22:41, Leo Famulari wrote: > I'm not sure, but the comment seems to indicate that we don't want to > use it: > > ;; According to > ;; http://sourceforge.net/projects/libjpeg-turbo/ , > ;; "libjpeg-turbo is a derivative of libjpeg that > ;; uses MMX, SSE, SSE2, and NEON SIMD instructions > ;; to accelerate baseline JPEG compression/ > ;; decompression", so we had better not use it There seems to be some misunderstanding here. Sorry if it wasn't clear: this (libjpeg-turbo) was *already* bundled and used by icecat, as the ‘media/libjpeg’ (sic) that this patch removes. You'll find the same SIMD code there. For the quote above is missing: > ;; Fails with "libjpeg-turbo JCS_EXTENSIONS required". Translation: icecat wouldn't build with Guix's ‘libjpeg’ even if we'd want that. And we don't. This isn't some dodgy go-faster fork of IJG's ‘real’ libjpeg. It's intended as a sane alternative to the IJG library, albeit one that doesn't implement every recent extension. It detects CPU features at runtime — although they're the status quo now, as Andreas notes — and falls back to other algorithms that might still be faster. Dang it. I thought I wrote good (description)s. :-( Kind regards, T G-R-turbo