On Wed, Dec 27, 2023 at 08:38:24AM +0100, Sergey Trofimov wrote: > > Ricardo Wurmus writes: > > > Sergey Trofimov writes: > > > > > - adding it to guix increases maintenance burden: new versions could > > > add or remove config options > > > > This is why there should be automated tests. There are too few of them. > > > > that adds up to the pile of boilerplate to implement a simple config. If > guix mandates it for new packages, it'll raise the bar for contribution even > higher than it already is. > > > > - it bloats guix: imagine if we add configs for every > > > user-configurable app > > > > That would be nice. > > > > If we started to accept the term bloat we could easily apply it to > > anything in Guix: all that R stuff? Bloat! All that bioinfo stuff? > > Bloat! > > > > imo, R and bioinfo should be in channels. That wasn't a serious suggestion. > > > - such configs are not easily transferrable: if I were to use the > > > same app in non-guix env, I'd have to maintain 2 configs > > > > We are generating configuration files from our config languages. So you > > would only need to generate them and copy them for your non-guix > > environment. > > > > Sure, that's why I wrote "not easily". My non-guix env is a corporate Mac > laptop. Currently I just clone my dotfiles, symlink required configs and > it's done. I can make changes in both environments and there is no > unnecessary "compiling" step involved. You're not required to use the guix-home bits. I didn't for a long time, and there are still a lot of config files that I have that I either symlink into place or I write out in my guix-home config file to be splatted into place. I still regularly scp my .screenrc and .inputrc to other machines. > > > Another recent example is `oci-container-configuration` which > > > defines > > > a subset of docker-cli startup arguments. The problem is that > > > `docker > > > run` command has 96 options and the configuration only uses a > > > handful, > > > lacking a way to provide the remaining ones. > > > > All config bindings need to have an escape hatch. > > > That would be great. Most services have an extra-options (or similarly named) field where you can add extra bits to the config. -- Efraim Flashner רנשלפ םירפא GPG key = A28B F40C 3E55 1372 662D 14F7 41AA E7DC CA3D 8351 Confidentiality cannot be guaranteed on emails sent or received unencrypted