On Mon, Sep 25, 2023 at 10:34:11PM +0200, Simon Tournier wrote: > Hi, > > On Mon, 25 Sep 2023 at 14:09, MSavoritias wrote: > > > when its the same people that push Emacs as the "blessed" way to > > contribute (as in the guix manual) > > Just to point 1. Guix is part of GNU – for the good, the bad and the > ugly – so 2. editors developed under the GNU umbrella are autopromoted – > GNU Emacs is one, GNU nano would be another one. Well, for what it is > worth, I feel such autopromotion as some consistency. > > BTW, Efraim is GNU Guix co-maintainer and demoed the use of Vim for Guix > development: > > https://10years.guix.gnu.org/video/using-vim-for-guix-development/ > > Somehow, when one co-maintainer publicly demoed using not-Emacs makes a > point that there is no “blessed“ editors – and the part dedicated for > Emacs in the manual seems just an autopromotion of GNU products that > contributors enjoy for cooking – dogfooding. ;-). Oh no! My very embarrassing talk where I was missing that magic 1 or 2 packages from my manifest and then everything fell apart. I think I need to watch it again myself and then try redoing it at home. > Contributions in the Guix manual or in the cookbook about how to setup > other editors than Emacs are very welcome. This is the big part. I have a setup that works reasonably well for me and I haven't done a good job sharing it with others so they can see some of the other options. IIRC one of the big things I wanted to show was using ctags with Guix to jump quickly between packages or to other definitions. Right now the tags make target is a stub, I (or someone else even) should see about adjusting that so 'make tags' works for the project. -- Efraim Flashner רנשלפ םירפא GPG key = A28B F40C 3E55 1372 662D 14F7 41AA E7DC CA3D 8351 Confidentiality cannot be guaranteed on emails sent or received unencrypted