On Wed, May 10, 2023 at 01:39:05PM +0200, Andreas Enge wrote: > Hello all, > > the title says it all, I wish to share some conclusions from working on > the core-updates merge. Clearly our tooling could be improved for the task; > there was some flying by night without instruments, and in the end I > merged the branch without being really able to tell how it compared > to master... (You may also blame it partially on my lack of patience.) > Having feature branches may or may not make things a bit easier, but it > will definitely not solve the problems. I have to agree with this sentiment. I merged the rust-team branch with the gut-feeling that nothing new was broken, but I wasn't really sure how to compare the two. > This mail is also of course a bit politically sensitive: It may look like > I am complaining about other people's work, who are volunteers and do what > they can, without offering to work on the code myself. So as a preamble, > let me express my gratitude to the few people who have been working > tirelessly on our tooling and contributing to our infrastructure, without > whom big code changes like we did on core-updates (and now on feature > branches) would simply be impossible; their work is vital to the project > and often not very visible. If I am critical, it is not to diminish their > work, but to discuss about a positive path forward; and I hope more people > will find the motivation to do infrastructure work, which I think will be > decisive for the success of Guix (together with policy and organisational > questions). I too wish to thank everyone for all the work they have done. I would especially like to thank those who work on cuirass and the Guix build coordinator, neither of which I've worked on but which are fundamental underpinnings of Guix. -- Efraim Flashner פלשנר אפרים GPG key = A28B F40C 3E55 1372 662D 14F7 41AA E7DC CA3D 8351 Confidentiality cannot be guaranteed on emails sent or received unencrypted