On 2022-08-09T12:47:27+0200, Andreas Enge wrote: > thanks for the update! I just pushed an update of maxima (and wxmaxima), but > without your addition of ecl. Is there a good reason for this? In any case, > this should be done in a separate commit, since it is not required for the > update. For the record, I also tried to compile with gcl, but this still > failed. SageMath requires the FASL library? (I only know scheme) `maxima.fas'. But it is only built when using ecl (See upstream here [0]). I don't know if we need both sbcl and ecl. Arch uses both and puts the lib/.../binary-* directories in separate packages[1], so maybe we could use different outputs? Anyway, I have attached an rebased commit that adds ecl. > > > Concerning sagemath itself, below is my very old version of an attempt at > > > packaging the library. Some things look reassuringly similar, my handling > > > of the number of cores is less nice, but I do delete the bundled packages. > > The `upstream' directory only seems to exist in the published tarball. > > So this should be no problem if we build from git. > > Ah, interesting. Which one should we do? I personally tend to prefer tarballs > (as the official distribution mechanism of the project). Recently there has > been a preference in the Guix project for git repositories when autotools > are involved, as they make it possible to recreate the configure scripts > from their source. But since this is not the case here, the argument does > not hold. The sage tarball is 1.35 GiB while the repository is only about 440 MiB. That seems quite convincing on its own. [0]: https://sourceforge.net/p/maxima/patches/80/ [1]: https://github.com/archlinux/svntogit-packages/blob/packages/maxima/trunk/PKGBUILD