all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Writing GNU Guix commit messages
@ 2021-07-25 10:16 Zelphir Kaltstahl
From: Zelphir Kaltstahl @ 2021-07-25 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi!

My question is regarding writing of commit messages for sending in patches for
GNU Guix. Previously I tried to simply answer all questions mentioned at

https://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Change-Logs.html#Change-Logs

However, it turned out, that that was not the desired format. Now I would like
to make a patch for a new version of a package and I would like to get the
format right this time. I also remember it being mentioned, that there is some
tools distributed with GNU Guix, that is supposed to help with that.

Can you provide links for the documentation of how to get the commit message
right or provide instructions of the necessary steps to take?

Best regards,
Zelphir

--
repositories: https://notabug.org/ZelphirKaltstahl

* Re: Writing GNU Guix commit messages
@ 2021-07-25 22:03 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2021-07-25 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zelphir Kaltstahl; +Cc: help-guix

Zelphir Kaltstahl <zelphirkaltstahl@posteo.de> writes:

> I also remember it being mentioned, that there is some
> tools distributed with GNU Guix, that is supposed to help with
> that.

If you use Emacs and Magit you can use the “update” or “add”
snippets with Yasnippet, i.e. within the commit message window
opened by magit just type “add” and hit TAB to expand the snippet.

You can also use etc/committer.scm, which is part of the source
checkout.  It was written to help with mass-upgrades of CRAN
packages; it will not do the right thing in all cases.  Notably,
it has some problems separating consecutive package additions.

--
Ricardo

* Re: Writing GNU Guix commit messages
@ 2021-07-27  8:23   ` Zelphir Kaltstahl
From: Zelphir Kaltstahl @ 2021-07-27  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Ricardo!

Thanks for your reply!

I am using Emacs and Magit, but not yet Yasnippet. Is the snippet for Yasnippet
loaded from the source code of Guix automatically? I imagine I have to somehow
add this snippet first, before I can use it. Or perhaps there is some special
yasnippet file, which yasnippet recognizes and then it completes from that?

About etc/committer.scm: I assume, that I would run this using "guile
etc/committer.scm". Is that the correct way to go?

Best regards,
Zelphir

@ 2021-07-27 12:48     ` Efraim Flashner
From: Efraim Flashner @ 2021-07-27 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)