all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#47335: xmonad fails to recompile on guix system
@ 2021-03-23  0:13 Charlie Ruppe
From: Charlie Ruppe @ 2021-03-23  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 47335

Package: guix
Version: 1.2.0-17.ec7fb6

I am trying to recompile xmonad with a fairly simple xmonad.hs
The package itself builds, installs, and runs correctly, but it throws
errors when recompiling my configuration. Configuration is very short but
is pasted here: http://paste.debian.net/1190543/

The same error is thrown when attempting to compile xmonad with ghc
directly, and inside and out of xmonad's build environment.

The following is the error that is printed when attempting to recompile
xmonad from within the build environment for xmonad within the directory
~/.xmonad/ containing xmonad.hs

[env]$ xmonad --recompile
XMonad will use ghc to recompile, because "/home/fever/.xmonad/build" does
not exist.
Error detected while loading xmonad configuration file:
/home/fever/.xmonad/xmonad.hs

xmonad.hs:1:1: error:
    Could not find module ‘XMonad’
    Perhaps you meant DsMonad (needs flag -package-key ghc-8.6.5)
    Use -v to see a list of the files searched for.

1 | import XMonad
  | ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

xmonad.hs:2:1: error:
    Could not find module ‘XMonad.Config.Desktop’
    Use -v to see a list of the files searched for.

2 | import XMonad.Config.Desktop
  | ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Please check the file for errors.

xmonad: xmessage: executeFile: does not exist (No such file or directory)

* bug#47335: xmonad fails to recompile on guix system
@ 2021-07-26  6:47 ` Lars-Dominik Braun
From: Lars-Dominik Braun @ 2021-07-26  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charlie Ruppe; +Cc: 47335

Hi,

I’m seeing the same issue, but it works when explicitly installing
ghc@8.6.  Looking at haskell-build-system all Haskell libraries are
currently built with version 8.6, whereas the newest GHC version
available (and thus installed by `guix install`) is 8.8.

I feel that either xmonad should depend on the correct GHC or all
GHC versions not used to build libraries should be hidden to avoid this
situation.

Lars

* bug#47335: Hide GHC not used for building Was: xmonad fails to recompile on guix system
@ 2021-08-01 17:51   ` raingloom
From: raingloom @ 2021-08-01 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars-Dominik Braun; +Cc: Charlie Ruppe, 47335

On Mon, 26 Jul 2021 08:47:53 +0200
Lars-Dominik Braun <lars@6xq.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I’m seeing the same issue, but it works when explicitly installing
> ghc@8.6.  Looking at haskell-build-system all Haskell libraries are
> currently built with version 8.6, whereas the newest GHC version
> available (and thus installed by `guix install`) is 8.8.
>
> I feel that either xmonad should depend on the correct GHC or all
> GHC versions not used to build libraries should be hidden to avoid
> this situation.
>
> Lars

I'd be very much in favor of the latter, or maybe rename it to ghc-next.
I have some profiles ghc pinned to a version and upgrading those is
always a mess because Guix tries to build the old version from source
instead of using the next version.

* bug#47335: Hide GHC not used for building Was: xmonad fails to recompile on guix system
@ 2021-09-15  7:42     ` Lars-Dominik Braun
From: Lars-Dominik Braun @ 2021-09-15  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raingloom; +Cc: Charlie Ruppe, 47335-done

Hi,

> I'd be very much in favor of the latter, or maybe rename it to ghc-next.
> I have some profiles ghc pinned to a version and upgrading those is
> always a mess because Guix tries to build the old version from source
> instead of using the next version.
I renamed ghc@8.8 to ghc-next in commit
39b43d0d0428474a1d0bf58779d0135163b9c6e3.

Cheers,

@ 2021-09-15  8:08           ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2021-09-15  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xinglu Chen; +Cc: Lars-Dominik Braun, ruppe.charlie, 47335, 47335-done

Hi,

On Wed, 15 Sept 2021 at 13:02, Xinglu Chen <public@yoctocell.xyz> wrote:

> Agreed, but I guess using the ‘-next’ suffix was be the easiest
> workaround for now.

Yeah but more than often, the workarounds remain longer than expected
and thus they cannot be considered as workaround. ;-)

> Maybe running ‘guix install ghc’ should install the GHC package that the
> ‘ghc’ variable refers to.  Then this would not only apply to language
> ecosystems, but all packages in general.  Right now running ‘guix
> install rsync’ installs the ‘rsync-next’ package, but I would expect it
> to install the package that the ‘rsync’ variable is bound to.

Well, the name has to be distinguished from the symbol.  The symbol
name does not matter from a CLI point of view; and usually not so much
from a regular user perspective.

What really matters, IMHO, is the name and the version.  Basically,
"guix install foo" will install the latest version of the package
'foo'.  To avoid this, the trick is to tweak to the name of the latest
version.  It is what happens with 'rsync'; so to be in agreement with
the '-next' approach, the name should be 'rsync-next' and not 'rsync'.

Anyway, we all agree that something is odd. :-)

Cheers,
simon

* bug#47335: Hide GHC not used for building Was: xmonad fails to recompile on guix system
@ 2021-09-15  8:58       ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2021-09-15  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 47335, Lars-Dominik Braun, ruppe.charlie; +Cc: 47335-done

Hi,

On Wed, 15 Sept 2021 at 09:43, Lars-Dominik Braun <lars@6xq.net> wrote:

> > I'd be very much in favor of the latter, or maybe rename it to ghc-next.
> > I have some profiles ghc pinned to a version and upgrading those is
> > always a mess because Guix tries to build the old version from source
> > instead of using the next version.
>
> I renamed ghc@8.8 to ghc-next in commit
> 39b43d0d0428474a1d0bf58779d0135163b9c6e3.

Well, I am late to the party and probably out of point but I think
this '-next' is not something we should introduce and generalize.
Well, who knows if these '-next' will be the real next. ;-)   My
comment is also about guile-next, emacs-next and python-next.  Noting
that gcc-toolchain does not have a '-next'; packages are built using
7.5.0 but "guix install gcc-toolchain" will install 11.2.0 and then it
could lead to the same issue as the one reported with GHC, I guess.

Instead of this '-next' trick, we should find a better mechanism where
"guix install ghc" would install the default GHC used by the Haskell
build-system.  Idem for the others guile-next, python-next etc..  And
any other version should be installed using  the explicit mention,
i.e., "guix install ghc@8.8", IMHO.

Cheers,
simon

* bug#47335: Hide GHC not used for building Was: xmonad fails to recompile on guix system
@ 2021-09-15 11:02         ` Xinglu Chen
From: Xinglu Chen @ 2021-09-15 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun, 47335, Lars-Dominik Braun, ruppe.charlie; +Cc: 47335-done