On Wed, Apr 21, 2021 at 04:10:40PM -0700, Vagrant Cascadian wrote: > Control: tags 44675 +patch > > On 2020-11-15, Vagrant Cascadian wrote: > > Please consider a guix lint description/synopsis check for basic > > spelling, typo and rudimentary grammar issues. > ... > > Many of these are likely to be caught by most spell checking routines; > > I'm not sure if there is anything that would be implementable in pure > > guile, or it if would make sense to call out to an external > > spellchecker. > > > > Some of them might be harder, and obviously we do not want too many > > false positives, but no need to get perfectionist on solving this; even > > just checking for "This packages" would haved detected many of these > > issues! > > In the attached patch, I've implemented a simple lint check for "This > packages", which has been fixed in ... 42 packages so far in the git > repository, so maybe this could help catch future ones! > > I haven't implemented a more complicated spellchecker or grammar checker > or anything, but at least this is a start. > > I think it is also within my skills to address "allows to" and "permits > to", if I'm not heading down the wrong path here... > > > live well, > vagrant It might make more sense to name it something more like 'catch-common-typos' and to search for 'This packages', 'allows to', 'permits to', 'file-name' and then print out the different mistakes in the description. Then we can add more as we find them, rather than one check per mistake. -- Efraim Flashner אפרים פלשנר GPG key = A28B F40C 3E55 1372 662D 14F7 41AA E7DC CA3D 8351 Confidentiality cannot be guaranteed on emails sent or received unencrypted