Hi everyone, the attached patches switch python-build-system to a PEP 517-based build system using python-pypa-build. As discussed previously Python is currently in the process of opening up for build systems other than setuptools using the API specified in PEP 517. python-pypa-build is a simple tool for building packages using that new API. It supports setup.py-based builds as a fallback, if no pyproject.toml is present. One downside is that this tool is not self-contained and has a few dependencies. Thus first I bootstrap setuptools using itself (possible because it bundles all of its own dependencies), then build python-pypa-build’s dependencies using setuptools (which is fortunately still possible) and then combine everything into a python-toolchain(-for-build), which is then used by the build-process. I can successfully build packages like python-pypa-build and python-pytest and python-pep517-bootstrap. The latter is using flit as its build backend. But other packages currently fail because I removed some arguments. Cheers, Lars