Hi leo. As mentioned previously, I do find this useful, I'm using it currently in LD\_PRELOAD for a nonfree package that requires systemd and does not function with elogind patched in instead. Other usecases exist but they're just speculation so far, though the package is otherwise fully functional. \-------- Original Message -------- On 13 Jun 2021, 19:14, Leo Famulari < leo@famulari.name> wrote: > > > > On Sun, Jun 13, 2021 at 11:36:14AM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote: > > Efraim Flashner skribis: > > > I'd also argue that some of the bioinformatics packages are high > > > maintenance and no one likes having to update them. > > > > I agree with the two of you. What I’m saying is that if in addition of > > having a high maintenance cost, it’s pretty much unusable, then that’s > > not good. > > I share Efraim's point — maintenance burden has never been a primary > reason to exclude things from Guix. I think it's important to handle > this patch in a manner that is consistent with the precedent set by > years of Guix code review. > > I'm sorry, I haven't read this entire discussion closely. Tony, does > this package seem useful for you? > > There is a weird gamergate-esque faction in the free software community > who hate systemd for reasons that are basically inexplicable. It seems > to be one of several proxy battles fought by a far-right \[0\] political > camp in a struggle over the direction of free software (I'm not sure > \*who\* they are fighting... most distros just ignore them). We should > recognize their longwinded sophistry for what it is. Systemd works and > it works very well. > > Maybe we \*should\* start rejecting very high-maintenance contributions if > we do not think they will be maintained adequately. But, I do not think > that systemd should be the package that spurs that decision, because of > the special importance that some people have placed on systemd, which > has nothing to do with software, either technically or in terms of > software freedom. > > > Oh you’re saying that someone on a foreign distro might be interested in > > running ‘systemctl’ from Guix’ ‘systemd’ package? That sounds like a > > bit far-fetched to me, dunno. > > I use systemd extensively with Guix-on-Debian, and it's one component > that I will probably not replace with a Guix package. It's too deeply > integrated within Debian for me to feel confident replacing it, although > perhaps systemctl will work fine when provided by a 3rd party. I really > don't know. > > The benefits of Guix on other distros — the strong control over the > dependency graph and ability to modify it and roll it back — do not hold > for systemd, in my opinion. Debian's operating system integration and QA > process is good, at this level of the system. > > \[0\] I know that's a gross generalization, but it just seems that way to > me >